08 January, 2011

08 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
January 8, 1944   1630
Dearest Girl –

The mail, I believe, is getting better and I hope you are aware of it too. In today’s ‘Stars and Stripes’ – a daily paper published in the E.T.O. – there was an article on the new planes that are carrying Airmail in addition to V-mail. Although it won’t work 100% – it implied that most Airmail from and to the U.S.A. will actually go by air across the ocean. There’s a definite thrill in reading a letter from someone you love that was written only 7-8 days ago. It makes you seem a little closer somehow.

Today, Saturday, I’m O.D. again, but I haven’t been too busy. There’s been nothing really new here to write about, dear – but in this case, no news is good news, I believe.

I have just re-read, for the umpteenth time, your letter of December 27, after you had been over to my house. I enjoyed it so much and I’m so glad, darling, that you were able to get over. I know my father had written me that he hoped it would materialize. Gosh it would have been swell to have been there with you and my family. I want you to know, sweetheart, how much I appreciate your being so friendly with my folks. Not only does it make you know them better, and they you – which is certainly what I want, but you also undoubtedly make me seem nearer to home by your presence. My folks know how I feel about you, darling, and would have liked nothing better than to have seen me married to you. My mother’s one regret was that I hadn’t met you early enough. That was my own fault, I guess – but anyway, knowing how close you and I are, it must give them great pleasure to see you around, darling. I hope you see them often.

I know that things may seem a little bit awkward fundamentally, our not being formally engaged, I mean. It’s so easy to become friendly with one’s future in-laws, but when nothing has actually been announced, there must be a sort of strange feeling about just how intimate to be. I may not be hitting my words just quite right, but you probably gather what I mean. For my failure to hasten our engagement, darling, I kick myself mentally 10 times a day, but damn it – I still think that had I rushed things, your folks wouldn’t have approved. Perhaps they didn’t or couldn’t realize then how much we cared for each other. The point to all this is that despite the absence of formality, I admire and love you for your ability to make such good friends with my folks, sisters and brother. Just remember, sweetheart, that they accept you with open arms; an engagement wouldn’t have made you seem closer to them and I’m sure that you can talk freely, if you haven’t already, about our future together. Remember also, darling, that you can count on me. I will always love you and engagement or not – it’s you and I for marriage right after the war.

I’m glad, dear, that you liked my mother’s cooking. I have a lot of confidence in you, though, and one thing you will never have to worry about is in-laws. I’m sure you can sense how loving and uncritical my folks could be to a wife of mine. You will like them both better – the more you know them.

I love the thought of Barbara calling you Auntie – and I hope you got a kick out of it. She’s a sweet kid and very affectionate. I got a note from her and have already answered it.

I do think it was unfair to look at all my pictures, darling. After all – had I been there – I might have hidden some of the awful ones. However – since you took some of them home – I’ll overlook it dear. I do wish I could autograph one though. I’ve had some taken, didn’t like the proofs and will try again. There’s a place in London that has 2 hr. service; I’ll try that – next trip. What picture do you mean – when I was 10 yrs old?


Greg at 10 years old

Sweetheart – I am taking good care of myself and I’m in better condition now than I have been for 4-5 yrs. And that’s the way I’ll stay dear – for you. You can’t imagine what an incentive you are, darling, for getting home in good condition!! I’ll stop now, Sweetheart – and you make me very happy when you tell me that you love me. Sincerest regards to your folks and
All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment