09 January, 2011

09 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
Sunday, January 9, 1944 1045
Dearest sweetheart –

I’m getting an early start today. As I wrote you last night, I was O.D. I got up about 0800 this morning and only had a little bit of work to do. I’m now in my office and have just read a few articles in a medical journal. Then I felt like jotting a few lines to you, darling, and so here I am.

Last night was very quiet. Besides writing to you, dear, I finally wrote to Shirley, thanks to the last name which you supplied for me. I have no special interest in writing, but Stan asked me to, and that’s why I did. I also wrote to my brother-in-law and of course to my folks. I then went over to the Officers’ Club but there was very little doing.

I have just re-read your letter of the 24th of December, which came after the one of the 27th. I liked it very much, sweetheart, as I do all you letters. I see no reason at all dear for your being apologetic about your letters. I find them all enjoyable and interesting – regardless of the subject matter. I’m glad you like mine. The fact that you find them so coherent and concentrated – makes me wonder – I always hated composition in school, and I don’t believe I ever got higher than a B+, and then only once. I never could think of a subject to write about. So, darling, if you find my letters coherent – it must be because I like the subject matter, and that could be, dear, that certainly could be –

You mention an orchid, darling, and that must be the one I was wondering about. I’m glad you got it and I hope you liked it. Did it come in time? Had I received some of your earlier letters, dear, I probably would have known about it before now.

Oh, in reference to my statement about Shirley F., namely that I thought she was playing it cozy, I made that remark because that’s the way the situation seems to me. Stan wrote that he keeps seeing her – but nowhere in his letter could I gather that he was making any more headway, than last summer, for example. Now if she doesn’t intend to become engaged to him someday, she’s playing him for a sucker – because he’s spending a lot of money on her, and I happen to know, more than he can afford. He may be considering it a good investment. I suppose that’s not a fair statement, dear, but I can talk freely with you. The point is that you remember how he decided whether or not he was in love with her.

If she does intend to marry him, why doesn’t she give him an inkling or something to hang his hat on? She’s playing it cozy because she won’t commit herself one way or another. Of course – they may have an understanding between them, but if so, Stan didn’t leave that implication. However that’s their problem, dear, and they’ll no doubt work it out for themselves.

No – you did not play it cozy, and darling, that’s another one of the things – in a long list – that I liked about you from the start. You were quite frank in everything; if you liked something, you said so, and vice versa. I’ve always tried to be straightforward myself and like it in others. I’m glad you weren’t coy or cozy, dear. After all, if we cared for each other – and it was soon obvious that we did, why beat around the bush? I wanted to see you every opportunity I could and you reacted the same way. I know it must be difficult to have a girl fall in love with someone who is going away soon, dear, and I admire your courage and faith in allowing yourself to do just that. I hope and pray that you will never regret it. If it’s in my power, you won’t – either. As for my being reserved, darling, just wait and see, wait and see! But thanks in advance for your promised cooperation. Boy oh boy! – is all I can say now. So long for now, Sweetheart. I love you more with each passing day and I’m dreaming of the day when we can be together again.

Regards to the family
All my love
Greg

P.S. My wife is not dumb, darling, and you can’t say that about her!
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment