10 January, 2011

10 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
January 10, 1944   1345
Darling Wilma -

I had a pleasant surprise this noon in the form on an unexpected letter, – unexpected because we don’t usually get our mail until about 1700. This was a letter inadvertently sent to the wrong post-office but immediately returned here. And it was recent, too, darling – written on December 28th. It’s sweet of you, dear, to take stationery along even when you’re visiting. I know that I don’t feel as if I’ve completed the day, sweetheart, until I’ve written to you – and it’s nice to realize that you apparently feel the same way.

Yesterday was a dismal, rainy, long Sunday and the afternoon and evening seemed interminable. But we managed to get through it and here it is the start of another week. We – i.e. – about 7-8 of us stayed around the Officers’ Club – our own I mean – all day. I read an old issue of Time Magazine, Dec. 20th, and I appreciate that magazine even more than I used to. Now that you’re out of school, dear, you could do worse than to read it from cover to cover. It really keeps one up to date and intelligently, too.

We played some Ping-Pong, darts and Bridge, of course. Surprisingly enough – none of us has played poker since coming to England, and it’s just as well. If you lose your money, you’re stuck – because you just can’t draw any checks and you have to wait until the following month.

You certainly made my mouth water, darling, at your mention of Smorgasbord. That’s something you can’t get over here these days. It’s surprising how you get used to getting by on your 3 meals a day and that’s all. There’s no dropping around the Px for a coke or a bar of Hershey. There just isn’t any of it here.

In re-reading your letters, too, sweetheart, I always like the part about the future because that’s what I’m living for, and I’m always so keenly interested in your thoughts about it. It does my heart and mind so much good to read that your mind, too, is pre-occupied with our future life together – and I know we’ll be happy. You are very complimentary, darling, in your writing when you say I’m ‘sweller’ than any one you’ve ever met. I know you’ve met a lot of nice fellows, darling, and if you still feel that I’m the nicest – well all I can say is that I’m very happy – whatever the reasons are.

You asked me once whether I had seen Eliot. Well, after much chasing around I have managed to locate his whereabouts. He’s about 90-100 miles from here, but in this country it can take the good part of a day going that distance by train – I may try to meet him in London some day.

Your Grandmother B. is very sweet to remember me, dear, as are all your relatives whose regards you’ve sent. I laughed out loud the other day when you wrote that the various members of your family sent their regards, as well as the neighbors, etc. Darling – I don’t know your neighbors yet – but send them my regards, too.

I shall certainly drop your Grandmother a note, dear – and really I am glad that you think she likes me. I want all of your relatives to like me – because I know that fact will make you happy. And you can tell your Grandmother that there’s not the slightest chance in the world that I may “look for somebody else”. I did a lot of looking before I made up my mind, but when I did, I’m not going to change it. I’m glad you’ve told your family that you intend to marry me – because I want them all to know that we really are serious. I’ve never in my life been more so, dear – and when I get back and we’re married, we’ll have such a happy life together – that we’ll be the envy of everyone, dear. We’ll have so much to do, I can hardly wait to get started, but something really worth having, is worth waiting for, too, and Sweetheart, I’m waiting for you.

Best regards to everyone, dear – and for now

All my deepest love
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

TIME from December 20th, 1943


Greg mentioned reading this issue of Time and suggested to Wilma that she keep up with the magazine as a way to remain up-to-date intelligently. Taking a look at this issue opens a window to what he considered to be "intelligent." The December 20th publication of Time featured a portrait of Greer Garson on the cover. Inside, the Cover Story discussed her successes, including her role as Mrs. Miniver. The full contents included: Army & Navy, Battlefronts, Books, Business, Cinema, Education, Foreign News, Letters, Medicine, Milestones, Miscellany, Music, People, Press, Radio, Religion, Science, Theater, and U.S. at War. Here is a picture of that cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment