11 January, 2011

11 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
January 11, 1944    1245
Dearest sweetheart –

I have just finished my lunch and am resting comfortably in a large soft chair. I was just about to read the daily Stars and Stripes, but I felt like writing to you first, dear. The Stars and Stripes is just for soldiers and costs us about a cent and a half a day. It has 4 to 6 pages and contains the latest news of the world, plus news of interest to soldiers in the European Theater of Operations, plus Li’l Abner and Terry and the Pirates – and that’s something darling, after reading the cartoon-less English dailies. We also have the “Yank” – British Edition, which comes out once a week and cost threepence or a nickel. I’ve tried sending you the “Yank” – but I don’t know yet whether it will get to you, dear.

Yesterday, again, was a long slow day. When I got through writing you – and my folks, I wrote Grandma B. a short note; then I wrote Col. P. a rather long letter. I had heard from him the day before from Fort Bliss. He’s rather discouraged about not getting anywhere. He’s so disappointed at still being in the U.S. – and yet having been a soldier in both wars. I envy him, though, in a way. He mentioned, for example, that he had called his wife, Anne, a few days before. Next to seeing you, Sweetheart, that’s the one thing I would like to do most. Yesterday I heard a rumor that it was possible to call – but I’m having it investigated today by our Special Service Officer.

I wrote your mother – the other day, having received a very nice V-mail from her. I think it is swell of her to write me, and I told her so.

In the evening – it was the same routine, i.e. – ping-pong, darts and bridge. We’ve been playing a little bridge every other night or so – and I guess that’s the only way to really learn the game. I think I’m getting to know it better, but I still have a long way to go before I become a good player.

I got to bed at about 2245 and Bruce and I (he’s Battery Commander – Headquarters Battery) got to talking about home. He had had a girl friend and they were pretty intimate. One day while we were still at Edwards – he received a note that she was a member of the Waves – just like that. When he tried to contact her, she made no attempt to meet him half way. It was a pretty rotten trick, and to this day he doesn’t know what really happened.

Then I got to talking about you, Sweetheart; what you looked like, how you talked and laugh, the good companion you are, the things we planned to do after the war, and so on. Bruce said “You really love her, don’t you?”; and I said “Hell, man, you don’t think I’d marry a girl I didn’t love, do you?” Well, he opined that I wouldn’t, and I went on from there, outlining our life in Salem and the things we could look forward to. I honestly think I made the poor fellow envious, or at least sad. I hadn’t intended to do either. Anyway I can assure you darling that it’s wonderful to realize that you do have someone so dear to you at home who feels the same way about you as you do of her. I’ve said that over and over again, darling, but I still can’t impress you with the mental satisfaction and pleasure derived from that thought. Why I was lucky enough to meet you, darling, I don’t know, but I am certain I’ll do everything I can to appreciate the good fortune. You are becoming so much a part of me as each day goes by, that I find it almost unbelievable that I was really alone so long dear. I’ve never really experienced the sense of togetherness that I am now – and it’s wonderful!

Well – I have to run along now dear. I’m going up to the Station hospital and see some of our boys who have been sick. Hope I hear from you this evening. Meanwhile, darling, my sincerest love is yours –

Greg
Regards to the family and Mary
Love
G.

* TIDBIT *

about The Stars and Stripes

The following article was copied directly from a former web site, with credit to the author:

The Stars and Stripes
Written by Dante Murphy

Popular with the troops and seasoned with experienced journalists and authors, the Stars and Stripes was the officially-approved newspaper of the American armed services during World War II. Published simultaneously in England, Europe, and finally the Pacific in the latter part of 1945, the newspaper stands out for having accomplished two vital missions. It was "for the soldiers", and also became a "...symbol of the things we are fighting to preserve and spread in this threatened world." The name on the masthead was not new, being used various times and on different papers from the American Civil War up through World War I. This particular edition started out in London with less than ten men, growing to hundreds on staff by the end of the war. Initially published just for the American troops stationed in Ireland in 1942, its appeal soon grew enough to become a daily 8-page paper aimed at all the American forces in the European and Italian theater of operations. This popularity did not go unnoticed by those in command—General Eisenhower himself had "...considered it the greatest influencing factor for the soldier in the Army...."

Correspondent Ernie Pyle
A newspaper is only as good as its staff, and the Stars and Stripes soon found journalistic talent of all types applying to work in any capacity possible. In many cases, new staffers had been doing similar jobs in their old outfits, such as editing the camp newspaper or the division newsletter. Upon hearing of the Stars and Stripes, they reached for the opportunity to work at a real newspaper for the first time — or, in some cases, to do what they had done while civilians. In fact, the staff — and the papers that some of them had already worked at—represented a veritable Who's Who of the journalistic world at that time. Bob Moora hailed from the New York Herald Tribune. Ben Price, one of the founding group, hailed from the Des Moines Register. Other newspapers represented included the Detroit Free Press, New York Daily News, New York World Telegram, New York Times, and others. In addition to regular staff, many others contributed to the paper as well, be it through a regular column or special "news" events. Some of these famous contributors included the columnist Ernie Pyle, author Ernest Hemingway, cartoonist Bill Maudlin, and correspondent Andy Rooney.


A Young Andy Rooney
Andy Rooney was perhaps best known for his years on the 60 Minutes television show, but are not aware that he served in World War II and was on the staff of the Stars and Stripes. One of his most famous series of articles came about when he was on assignment with the 8th Air Force. Said Rooney, "Each story I wrote about heroism, mess sergeants, mascot dogs, or death in the air represented a hundred stories just like those at another base." He went on to write many other articles for the Stars and Stripes, including several memorable ones covering the D-Day landing. Rooney, Maudlin, Pyle and Hemingway offered a balance to the typical "hard news" that usually ran in the paper, and their ideas and topics were sprinkled throughout in columns and/or special inserts. Typical of these special sections was the insert War Week. Topics ranged from lessons on how to fight in winter weather and the cold to coverage of those flying in the Army Air Corps.

 
Willie and Joe
The December 9, 1944 War Week focused on one thing—mud! Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist Bill Maudlin was also a regular feature in the Stars and Stripes, with his cartoons appearing several times a week. His Willie and Joe characters came to symbolize the ordinary infantry soldier's lot during the war, poking fun at the leadership and expressing the frustration of every private on the ground. His efforts were not without controversy at times—one cartoon precipitated a meeting with General Patton, who thought what Maudlin had drawn was disrespectful! Just beyond reach of the limelight were dozens of correspondents and reporters who, while not as famous, provided stories of courage and bravery and despair for the newspaper. Ernie Leiser's description of the devastated city of Berlin made front page headlines at the end of the war. Another reporter, Thomas Hoge, was actually taken prisoner by the Germans, spending time in captivity. He made his way to freedom, and his experiences resulted in articles describing life behind the wire as a prisoner. Other stories detailed accounts ranging from notable battles to interviews with visiting Hollywood actors.

Besides the news, weekly columns and special inserts, other sections of the paper included sports—one of the more popular sections for the troops—wire service news, and the ever-popular comics, with well-known strips such as Li'l Abner, Terry and the Pirates, Dick Tracy and others. Rounding out the paper were the B-Bag — soldier's letters to the paper/editors — and Hashmarks, a regularly appearing humor column.

Publishing any paper can be a harrowing experience. Publishing a daily newspaper in multiple combat zones can be dangerous to one's sanity. Unlike a local paper stateside, the Stars and Stripes was published at more than one place, with more than one edition. After starting out in London, other editions were printed as the war progressed, including the Saint-Mere Eglise edition (from Paris) and, eventually, the German editions. Each had its own headlines, staff and unique take on the war. One of the biggest challenges was the actual production of the paper. Paper, ink and presses were needed to put out the physical product. While in friendly territory, such as London, this was a manageable task. However, for the European based editions, especially those still near the combat zone, this was a dicey proposition at best. Historian Ken Zumwalt, in his book, The Stars And Stripes, mentions this example: "As they entered Liege, they found the railroad yards smoking from buzz-bomb hits....Bombers of the Luftwaffe streaked across the sky....For nine days the eight men scoured the burned city for printing facilities...."

All the toil and danger was worth it. The Stars and Stripes was a touch of stateside civility in a soldier's vernacular, both familiar and evocative. The men came to rely upon the paper as much more than a source of headlines and box scores; it was a trusted compatriot that would be with you to the end. It's kept that promise, and is still going strong today, publishing daily in areas all across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment