17 January, 2011

17 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
Monday, January 17, 1944 1530
My darling –

What shall I do – I miss you so? I try to act gay, tell jokes, play bridge, read, and countless other things, but sweetheart – I end up missing you more and more. This morning when I arrived at the hospital, my men wanted to know why I looked so blue, so again I told them I was in love with a “lovely girl whom I couldn’t see, couldn’t kiss, couldn’t make love to – until the war ended”. You know what they said, sweetheart? One of them said, “Boy, she must be some girl to make you look and feel like that!” another one added that he had been with me for eighteen months and I’ve never acted the way I have since I met you. He said he’d been watching me and he knew the symptoms from sometime this summer. So in defense, dear, I said “Oh – it’s not that bad!”; to which, in unison, they all joined with an “Oh! Yeah!” Now, as we used to say when we were children, how do you like that for apples?

Anyway, darling, it should be very apparent to you how much I miss you and love you. No doubt men have written often before the way I have. If they were all as sincere as I am, sweetheart, they must have really been in love.

Today has been dull and foggy and I can’t say the surroundings made me feel any better. I stayed at the hospital for about an hour this morning, and then I decided to make a trip around to the various gun sections of one of the batteries. I did that, and it helped pass the time away pretty well. I don’t see all of the men as much as I used to, and wherever I went there were lots of questions concerning their health, families, babies, etc. It was truly like old times.

At noon – nothing particular happened and I came right back here to the hospital. I have to prepare an S.O.P. (standard operating procedure) for the running of the medical detachment, care of casualties etc. This makes about the 4th one I’ve made, but the situations change, depending on the assignment of the battalion – so the S.O.P. changes, too. When I say 4th, I don’t mean since arriving in England, I mean since being with this outfit.

I spent most of the afternoon planning it, then I dictated it to my staff sergeant and he is now typing it. With it I had to draw a rough map to show various routes etc. I swear – Charlie has a better job than I have. He carries the same rating and salary but doesn’t have to bother about reports and a lot of other junk that I’m responsible for. Some day I think I’ll talk the Colonel into swapping our jobs around.

Speaking of jobs, darling, how are you doing? I suppose in some of the letters I should be receiving any one of these days – you’ll probably mention the subject. I wish you luck anyway.

As I wrote you yesterday, I’m planning to have 48 hours off and will probably go to London again. It’s very likely I’ll go tomorrow morning, darling – and how I wish I had a 48 hr pass to see you – or did I mention that once before?

It won’t help me miss you less, darling, and I don’t want it to. I once wrote you – that the longing and the missing – though torturing in a way, nevertheless are enriching. All of it adds up to life and the living of it, and anyone who hasn’t missed someone or longed for someone is lacking in the full appreciation of that someone. If that is so, sweetheart, I appreciate and value you – like you have no idea at all! I hope I hear from you tonite, darling; it will help a great deal. Be well, take care of yourself for me, and always remember how much you mean to me.

All my love, sweetheart
Greg
Regards.

No comments:

Post a Comment