21 January, 2011

21 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
21 January, 1944 1345
Dearest darling,

I’ve always appreciated the fact that you wrote me regularly but it hit me with a bang yesterday evening when the mail was distributed. I got 36 – count ‘em! 36 letters, darling and most of them were from you, believe it or not. There’s not a fellow here who has anyone write him more constantly – be it wife, girlfriend or fiancée. Before I forget it, dear, in one of your letters you seem almost surprised that I referred to you as my fiancée to one of the boys, here. I know we’re not officially engaged, but darling – when I think of you so often as my wife, fiancée actually seems awfully tame. I haven’t written that to anyone in the States because I wouldn’t want to embarrass you, dear. I wonder if we could get engaged by mail? I know the sort of ring I want you to have and I know my dad would help me get it. What do you think, darling, or do you just think I’m crazy? It’s really not as foolish as it may sound. I’d love nothing better. Let me know what you think.

Your letters, darling, go way back to November, even, but most are from the early days of December – up to around the 17th and 18th. It seems that a bunch of our mail was inadvertently shipped to Italy and had to be sent back here. It was most welcome, though, and believe me, dear, I spent a pleasant evening reading. My file is now almost complete. There are one or two gaps. I expect some more, too, because the last letter I had from you was written January 3.

One other thing that comes to my mind that you may think is foolish, namely – your mention of Stan, and his reference to his waning activities with Shirley, and his frequent talks with you. You know, darling, I’m an awfully jealous guy – and I just can’t help thinking about it. It seems to me he calls you an awful lot for a fellow who is supposed to be in love with another girl. I know you’ll excuse me, dear, for mentioning it – or I wouldn’t have said a word about it, but darling – I’m so far away and have so much time to think –

You are a real sweetheart in re-assuring me of your love for me, as you did in your letter of January 3rd. I believe you, darling, but like you – I like to be told. When you get a letter from me expressing doubt – blame it on the lonesomeness which sometimes just takes a hold of you and doesn’t let go. I love you and want you so much that I let my mind run away with itself at times. I just don’t want anything or anyone to ever come between us.

In reading your letters, day by day, as you approached graduation I got a marvelous running account of what you were thinking and doing. I hope to save as many of your letters as possible and some day we can re-read them. The problem is going to be one of space, though, because they’re mounting up. I have every one I’ve received since arriving here, dear. I also received your swell Christmas Card. It has an awfully sweet sentiment, dear, and I loved the few lines added as a footnote. Really, sweetheart, your faith in me, your repeated statements that you want to marry me, that you love no one but me – all that makes me so happy and confident that I can hardly contain myself. That I was so lucky to meet a girl like you is still incomprehensible to me – even granting that I’ve been rather a lucky fellow. I’ll keep loving you always, darling, for so many reasons that I can hardly enumerate them – but not the least of which is your sincerity and ability to give me hope and inspiration. When I get back and we’re married you will be what I’ve always wanted in a wife and I’ve wanted someone like you for so long a time, darling, that I know I will adequately appreciate you.

Dearest – there’s several other items you mentioned in your letters that I want to discuss with you, but I’ll have to leave it for now – because I have some work to do. I’ll write again tomorrow – but meanwhile – remember that I love you as deeply as I know how – and I always will, sweetheart.

All my love
Greg.
Regards to everyone
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment