23 January, 2011

23 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
23 January, 1944     0900
Dearest darling -

It’s been some time since I wrote you so early in the day. Actually I like to because it seems to give me a good start for the rest of the day, dear.

As I wrote you by V-mail, yesterday was a busy day and involved my getting set up in a slightly different way than most recently. As you see, my APO is still the same and everything is actually status quo, darling, so don’t start worrying.

I’ve been re-reading the last batch of letters I received from you dear, and I enjoy them just as much with each new reading. There are several parts where I just couldn’t help laughing out loud. Way back in December, for example, when the so-called flu epidemic was on – it seems that Shirley was sick. I’m proud of your ability to take charge of things, dear. I have no doubt at all that you will make an all-round competent mother and wife – but then, I decided that a long time ago, sweetheart and that’s among the reasons for my loving you. What actually made me laugh about the Shirley incident was your account of the string running from one girl to the other, thru the corridor. That really must have been something. How any of you got much sleep, is beyond me.

From about the 1st week in December – up to graduation, dear, you really had a time – according to your letters. I knew you must have been studying hard, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to give you much comfort, was I? The net result is that you got your Bachelor of Arts degree, sweetheart, and again I’m very proud of my future wife. I really have a lot to be proud of in regards to you – and all I can say is that I’m ever-mindful of it. By the way – you ask me in one of your letters whether or not I like to eat in bed. Yes, dear, I guess I do – but – why eat?

I already mentioned a couple of times, I believe dear, that I sent you a little charm which I hope you like. It actually wasn’t sent out until day before yesterday – due to, shall I say, manufacturing difficulties? It’s a little thing – but took a lot of work and was done entirely by hand, without aid of machinery. The only thing that makes me tell you about this in advance, darling, is the fact that it is incomplete. It requires a chain for wearing and I cannot get one in England and I’ve tried at least 20 places. So if you decide you may want to wear it (and by no means, dear, do you have to) – I know you won’t have any trouble in procuring a chain in Boston.

When I got back from London the other day – there was a letter from Frank M. – of all people, or have I mentioned that already, darling? I’m not sure I did, but anyway he’s here in England – and that’s what I meant by “of all people”. He has the old APO number that I had – 515 and has been here just a short time I presume. So that’s someone else I must get together with. I’d really like to see him and talk things over. He was at home in Salem as recently as Christmas and he may have some news. The other people I haven’t looked up as yet are Elliot L. and Morris Z. – brother of Al – who is a Bombardier in a Fort and not far from me. Elliot is quite a jaunt from my direction and not on a main line; so far when I’ve been off – I’ve preferred to head for London.

Darling – your picture has not yet arrived and now I’m worried. It seems to me it should have come by now and yet – on talking with some of the boys who are expecting packages – some of them tell me they’ve heard from home that parcels, etc. were sent out in early December. The fact is they don’t lose things in our mail service and it must be turning up soon. One more thing – dear – my wallet has been cleaned out of any and all pictures long ago! See?? Anyway – I’ll have a frame built for your picture and I plan to keep it on my desk. When I travel – I can keep it safely also, dear.

Sweetheart that’s all for now. I’ll write tomorrow and I hope you are well and still hopeful. I am, myself, and with you the same way – they can’t beat us, darling.

All my deepest love
Greg
Regards – How about your Aunt Bea’s address?
Love.
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment