24 January, 2011

24 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
24 January, 1944    1620
My dearest Sweetheart -

Sometimes I hear from you, and when I get through reading you letters I feel so full of joy and love for you that I wonder at my own reactions. I don’t wonder darling that I’m in love with you; I know that; but the sensation is one of feeling so close to you, of wanting you, of realizing that someday you’ll be mine alone, of everything that is so mysteriously wonderful about two people in love – that I know you must know what I mean when I say I sometimes can’t quite analyze my reactions.

Sweetheart – as the days and weeks go by and become months I find that you are just as sweet and thoughtful in your letters as when you first told me you loved me. That is the gratifying thing to me, darling, that whatever magnetism first attracted us to each other is still holding and growing stronger. In one of your letters you warned me you would have to give me another lecture for even intimating that you might have hidden thoughts and feelings that you might try to veil from me – so as not to hurt me, for example. Darling – I didn’t write that to cause any trouble between us; I guess you know that. It’s merely that I feared I might not be able to hold you. Don’t censure me, dear, for my thoughts. I just couldn’t bear anything like that and when you’re alone as much as I am – the mind runs away with itself.

When I get letters like the ones I received today (Jan 6 and 7th) I just can’t tell you how much it means to me. The world looks good, the war seems short – and only one thing pervades me – the thought of both of us married and happy after the war. Believe me, sweetheart, we will be happy and if you only keep that in your mind always and don’t find waiting for me too difficult, I’ll make up for all the waiting, dear. You must have (and I know you do) faith in me.

Sometimes the letters I get are all out of sequence. The last letters have been like that. I have letters of the 29th and 30th of Dec; the 3rd, 6th 7th, and 9th of January. The ones in between are still missing. I got the one of the 9th before the ones of the 6th and 7th. In it you mentioned starting a job the next day and that came as a complete surprise, dear. The letters of the 6th and 7th also mentioned a job – but some earlier letter must have told me what it was. I’m anxious to hear what it is, but whatever the job – I know you’ll do well and will be liked by your employer.

Your Birthday wishes, Sweetheart, were swell and I certainly loved to read what you had to say – because I know you meant it.

Another thing that surprised me was the mention of a sweater and socks which you are making for me. It’s wonderful to read that you think of me so often, darling. I know you are – but it’s still wonderful to read it. I like heather and I like the stitch – as drawn by you and I’ll love playing golf in it Sweetheart – or just lounging around at home between or after hours.

And save the cribbage board. Every good home in Salem has one, dear. Say – what is honeymoon bridge, anyway? Is that two handed bridge? And if on a honeymoon, why play bridge?

I’m glad you get an occasional letter of mine as early as 1 week after mailing. Once in a while I’ve received one like that from you – and doesn’t it make things seem so much closer, dear? Incidentally, I didn’t think they’d allow that menu to go through – since it had the APO number of the Airbase on it, but apparently they are not concerned. I’ll admit my job sounds soft darling, but waiting for you isn’t – except when I realize that what I’m waiting for is worth it, and more.

I’ve got to go eat now, sweetheart. I hope you like your work – and I’m anxious to hear about it. Darling I love you more – the more I think about it and Lord how I think about it! So long for now and all my love
Greg
Regards!

No comments:

Post a Comment