25 January, 2011

25 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
25 January, 1944      1345
Dearest darling Wilma –

I ought to have my head examined for some of the things I write, dear, particularly anything that sounds lonesome. You wouldn’t believe me if I wrote I never was, but it’s something better not to write about. Honestly, darling, if I’ve sounded very lonesome in my letters I haven’t meant to. Perhaps my expression of love for you makes me sound that way in my writing.

Today I got the letters which yesterday I wrote were missing. That practically completes me up to date to January 9th – except for one letter in early January that must have told me about the job. In your letter of Dec 29 you refer to a lonesome type letter I wrote you earlier. Someone ought to kick me for having written it. I can only say, darling, that it was the holiday season, I hadn’t heard from you, and we are so far away from each other. I can also say that no one letter you ever wrote me so far did more to make me love you than that one I’m referring to which I received today. Really, darling, you are just the tonic I need. It was a swell letter and must have been difficult to write after having received a sad one from me. And your drawings!! There’s no doubt in my mind that one of our four children will be an artist – well, a cartoonist anyway. And when you drew a picture of a ‘smile’ I didn’t smile, dear, I roared. I’m glad you like the name of Mrs. H.G.A.; I like the sound of ‘Mrs.’; your picture depicting my kissing you or vice versa had me puzzled, darling. I didn’t know who was who. I tried to get a hint from your drawing of a diamond ring – as to what type you like; anyway you made it sparkle, sweetheart, so I’ll do the best I can; the bride and bridegroom look like a couple of sad-sacks (if you’re receiving the YANK, you’ll know what I mean, dear), but I like the idea! And finally, the pièce de resistance! The home! I can see it all, the picket fence, the arch of roses, the trees (what kind?), and the colonial (or was it?) style home with nursery for 4. Sweetheart – you shall have them all – and more, for you are without a doubt the sweetest and most lovable girl a fellow could ever hope for – and don’t think I don’t know it.

I also got a letter from your mother – written about the same time, as well as your letters of Jan. 1st. Your mother made some sweet wishes. I’m sorry I left the impression I was so lonesome – because she remembered about it too. I wasn’t worried about the Cornell Stationery, dearest. I used to have some nice Harvard stationery like that.

Sweetheart – I feel badly about people noticing your hanging around and not going anywhere. You are young and should be doing a great many things and maybe they’re correct. The Lord knows I don’t like the idea and yet, darling, I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for you. All I can say is that when the time comes I hope you can tell them I was worth waiting for and that you’ll feel proud of me. Anyway I get consolation out of the fact that almost anyone you might have met would have had to leave you eventually for some service or other – unless he were 4F – and so it might as well be I. Gosh – people are fundamentally selfish, aren’t they, dear?

One more thing I want to mention, darling, is your thoughtfulness about my folks. Needless to say, I love them and you are sweet to call them so frequently and to reassure them that all is well with me – even to the point of saying you heard from me on a day you didn’t. That shows me a great deal about your character, dear – and I like it. In every letter from home – your name is always mentioned and my mother and father never stop telling me how crazy they are over you and how much they love you. Darling, your in-laws will not be a problem! Barbara and Stephen write me that they love you. I’m still waiting for a letter from Ruth and Irv – but I know how much they think of you already – thru my Dad’s letters.

Gosh, Sweetheart, I could go on for page after page telling you why I love you. I’m not concealing a thing from you, dear. I’m occasionally lonesome – but 98% of the time I’m happy in my thoughts of us in the future. That thought easily overcomes everything else. When I hadn’t heard from you early in my days over here – it was natural to let my imagination develop my doubts. Your subsequent re-assurances, sweetness, thoughtfulness and sincerity – have instilled within me such a satisfied feeling that I can stand this damned war until the day I return to you. And return I will! Mentally and physically, darling, I’m in excellent shape – better than when I last saw you. I’m carefully watching myself because I have something to guard myself for. That – you will see for yourself.

I’ll close for now, sweetheart, not that I couldn’t go on writing. But tomorrow is another day and I may not hear from you. So I’ll save some ideas for then. Bless you, darling, for being the person you are and forgive me for my doubts and occasional sadnesses. I believe I have mastered both. For now, dearest, so long and you have and will eternally have –

All my love.
Greg.
Regards to everyone
in the family, dear.
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment