27 January, 2011

27 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
27 January, 1944    1330
Dearest sweetheart -

The mail has been erratic this week, but good. Although there have been gaps in the dates – the fact is, dear, that I’ve been hearing from you regularly now for several days. When I got a letter from you day before yesterday, stamped Jan. 14 – I was tickled, but last night, darling, I got one stamped January 17th and getting mail in 9 days is really something. It’s a shame it can’t be like that more often.

By now, sweetheart, you must be well entrenched in your job and yet I have not received the letters which tell me actually whom you’re working for; but I know it’s for at least a dress and sweater shop. That’s darn good experience, dear, in handling people for a starter and you won’t be sorry for it I’m sure. One of your letters should have more detail and I’m looking forward to it, the hours you work, when you get home – etc. It certainly should help pass the time more easily – and I know – that’s what we’re both striving for during this lonesome stage.

I don’t know the Dr. Aronoff you refer to, darling, but he’s certainly lucky to get back to Boston. But everyone agrees that after 19 months in Iceland – you deserve a trip home. You remember dear my mentioning another MD who went home recently from here after 19 mos. in Iceland and 5 mos. in England. I laughed at your description of him and his wife; it was short but concise – as they used to say in English Comp. By the way, dear, how does it feel to say casually “when I was at Holyoke?” In backing up your description, though, all I know is that a few years ago there was a mad rush of fellows to Edinburgh School of Med. – who didn’t get into a U.S. school – until a couple of years ago the AMA forbade it by refusing to grant AMA membership to graduates of foreign medical schools.

Your description, Sweetheart, of your emotions on a lonely Sunday afternoon in the winter are well appreciated by me – and I only wish I could take you in my arms and tell you how much I love you and understand you. You made a significant statement in this most recent letter of yours – when you said it was surprising how attached you became to me in so short a time – and how much you miss me. I think of the reverse myself – often, and it is very surprising and yet satisfying because if on such short notice we got to love each other so strongly and we’re willing to give up anyone else in our affections – then we really must have something that attracts us to each other, and just think how that something will cement us when we’re together.

There have been so many definitions of love that I would hardly attempt it. There’s always a poignancy about it that could conceivably be interpreted as sadness – but on the whole I find in loving you the same happy, invigorating, fulfilled experience that you must feel. It makes you feel that fundamentally – all is well or will be well with the world. I feel that, sweetheart – and that’s why I’ve told you so often that being in the war isn’t too hard for me – knowing and loving you. Without your love, darling, I know I would be as bitter as many other soldiers are.

I also got a letter from my father yesterday. He speaks again of you – and us Sweetheart – but I really can’t say I’m jealous. They really love you, dear – my folks do, and that makes me very happy; but then you remember I told you they would.

I’ve got to go now, dearest. I’m writing a history of the Medical Unit from its beginning – for submission to the Surgeon General’s office and it’s a headache – but I’m pretty well along with it now. Evenings here have been very very quiet. I haven’t been out of camp – except to a town on business one day – since my trip to London. But I don’t mind. I read, listen to the radio and think of you, darling. The latter is so easy and pleasant. So long for now, darling, and

All my love
Greg.
Regards!
     Love
G

* TIDBIT *

about US Troops in Iceland

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

American Forces arriving in Iceland in 1942

When Hitler's army occupied Denmark on April 9th, 1940, communications between Denmark and Iceland were severed. Although Iceland by then was a fully-sovereign nation, Denmark still represented its foreign affairs and defense interests. On the 10th of April, Iceland elected to take control of its own foreign affairs, strictly adhering to a position of neutrality. However, a month later, on May 10, 1940, British military forces, fearing that Iceland may be another target for Hitler, invaded Iceland by sailing into Reykjavík harbor. Iceland protested this violation of neutrality, yet Icelanders were directed to treat the British troops as if they were guests. At the peak of their occupation of Iceland, the British had around 25,000 troops stationed there, all but eliminating unemployment in the Reykjavík area and other strategically important places.

As the need for men mounted on the British at home and in the Middle East, and while the U.S. was still a neutral nation, responsibility for Iceland's defense passed to the U.S. under a U.S.-Icelandic defense agreement in July of 1941. An American occupation force of up to 40,000 soldiers was eventually stationed on the island. This number of soldiers was greater than the number of all grown Icelandic men. A very detailed history of the planning and execution of the US deployment to Iceland can be found at: US Army In WWII: Guarding the US and its Outposts by Conn, Engleman and Fairchild. Also from that source came the photo above and the two below:

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

"Main Street" of an Icelandic Camp


Mountains from Camp Pershing

In October 1946, Iceland and the U.S. agreed to end U.S. responsibility for the defense of Iceland. Still, the United States retained certain rights, such as the right to re-establish a military presence there, should war threaten. On March 30, 1949, amid an anti-NATO riot, Iceland became a charter member of NATO with the reservation that it would never take part in offensive action against another nation. Following the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950, and requests of NATO military authorities, the United States and the Icelandic Parliament again agreed that the U.S. should take responsibility for Iceland's defense. This agreement, signed on May 5, 1951, authorized a controversial U.S. military presence in Iceland, which remained until 2006. Although U.S. forces were ultimately withdrawn, the U.S. still assumes responsibility over the country's defense through NATO. However, since the withdrawal of U.S. forces, Norway, Denmark, Germany and other European nations have increased their defense and rescue cooperation with Iceland.

No comments:

Post a Comment