28 January, 2011

28 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
28 January, 1944    1315
Wilma darling -

As I mentioned yesterday, I still don’t know your exact schedule, but if it’s a normal one – you should just be returning from lunch. Oh – heck – I forgot about the time difference. That means you’re probably just getting to work. Well – I hope you have a pleasant day, dear.

I haven’t mentioned the weather for some time, darling, but I can’t pass over the past few days. They’ve been beautiful, with the skies sunny all day (except for the hordes of our planes overhead) and the air fresh. It’s just like late March in New England.

In my present set-up I’ve been doing more visiting to the various sections of the batteries and as a result most of my mornings are spent getting into and out of a jeep. By now my cheeks are pink and I end up ravenously hungry, darling. I just got back from lunch and believe it or not dear I consumed and enjoyed five medium-sized pork chops and were they good! The food has been good on the whole, darling, but very plain and the big trouble has been in between meals. There’s just nothing to munch on and the days of ice cream, milk shakes, cokes etc. are gone until we get back, I guess. I think I’ll probably be able to stand it, though.

Last night was another quiet, but pleasant evening. Thru Special Services distribution I got hold of a January 10th Time Magazine – pony edition and I spent the evening getting up to date with America. Later in the evening a visiting Major dropped in to stay with us for a couple of days. He’s from Chicago and knew a fellow I once knew. We had a nice time chatting and reminiscing. Early this morning I gave a class in First Aid to some of the men. After I get through writing to you, darling, I’m going to the club and soak in a tub for a couple of hours. It’s funny how I’ve gotten to like a tub. I used to enjoy only a shower, probably because I was always in a hurry. But Sweetheart I have time on my hands these days.

By the way, in one of your letters you ask me to tell you more about things, dear. Honestly – I’m telling you just about everything that can be told in the mail. You must by now realize what our mission has been so far in England. Other than that I believe I’ve told you about everything that happens to me, day by day, dear. Frankly – I’m content to let matters stay as they are right now, because the Lord knows we could be doing a lot of other things.

I’ve just re-read one of your recent letters in which you tell me you believe your folks are getting used to the idea of us. That’s swell, darling, and will make it just so much more natural for us to get married when the time comes. Your asking me not to change dear, was interesting. We each have a mental picture of the other at the time we last saw each other. I’ve re-lived that very last evening a thousand times, by the way. We were alone – most of it – and the only factor that made us act pseudo-casual was the thought that we might see each other in New York. But I remember you so vividly those last two nights, and I don’t want you to change either, Sweetheart. I want you – and I know I’ll have you – just the way you were when I first loved you. As for me, Sweetheart – don’t be afraid. The war won’t do anything to me except to make me a patient waiter. My tastes won’t change and neither will my ideas on life; if anything those ideas are becoming more crystallized. If there’s horror to be seen – I’ve seen horror before – in my profession and I know it won’t affect me. I’ve always been simple in my tastes, darling, and I know I’ll remain so. I know that when next I hold you in my arms – it will be the same fellow who held you in his arms one Saturday night and said “so long” to you, and to himself in a low voice “auf wiederschen”.

Dearest – that’s all for now. Be well and don’t work too hard. You’ll have to have a lot of pep to keep up with me – you know. Regards to everyone and

All my love for now
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about Time's Pony Edition

Time magazine produced what was called the "Pony Edition" during World War II to save on materials. These editions measured either 7-5/8" x 5-1/2" or 8-3/8" x 6-1/8", depending on where they were printed. The content was the same as the full-sized edition. In this photo, a U.S. Marine is reading a copy of a Time Pony Edition.

CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE


The cover of the Time issue for January 10, 1944 is shown here:

No comments:

Post a Comment