31 January, 2011

31 January, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
31 January, 1944    1600
Dearest sweetheart -

First of all – your picture came today! And I love it! I didn’t want to let you know how anxious I was about getting it, darling, because I was really afraid it might have been lost – but sooner or later everything gets here I guess. I kept trying to remember what the picture looked like, dear – and now that it’s here – it’s swell. And I like what you wrote on it, too. I’ve already shown it to the boys and they feel better now, too, because they’ve been wanting to see what I’ve been talking about. Now everything’s fine. I like the folder very much, darling, and rather than keep it as a wallet right now – I’ve got it up on a small shelf near my bed where I can see it every time I enter my room.

In connection with pictures, Sweetheart, I haven’t neglected your request about a picture of myself for you. I have had two sets done already (three, counting Camp Edwards) and I can’t seem to get one I would like to send you. You have enough bad ones of me as it is. The last set I had done in London – a few weeks ago. Although they’re glad enough to take your money, they whisk you in and out before you know it. They’re all busy and independent. However dear – I’ll try again.

This morning I came back from London. What! Again! Yes – but I hadn’t planned to go particularly, this time. As I wrote you – according to the schedule – we get our 2 days off about every 14 days. If someone can’t make it – you move up. If you can’t take your turn – you must wait for the next series – so that you may have to wait about 4 weeks before getting a little time off. If I were going out evenings, I wouldn’t mind – but I’ve just been taking it easy, sleeping and reading – so the change is good.

Well, darling, Sat. a.m. I was given the alternative of taking 2 days or missing my turn. I hadn’t planned on it and no one else was going – but I went just the same. I got into London in the late p.m. and looked around for a hotel. It was rather easy because at the end of the month the boys are broke and stay away in droves. I got a fairly nice room – with bath – for one guinea a nite. (A guinea is one pound and one shilling – or 21 shillings or about $4.20.) I took a bath, a short nap – and then walked out to look around. I don’t like to be alone very often, especially when I’m thinking ‘hard’ of you, sweetheart, but London is a big city and just watching the mixture of people you can spend an evening – and the point is – I was out of camp. I got to bed early and slept late.

Sunday p.m. I read the Sunday paper and then went for a walk to Hyde Park to listen to the soap-box orations for which Hyde Park is famous. They talk about everything, but most usually against the gov’t, war etc. People stand around and listen and then walk away. There are no demonstrations or anything like it.

Early evening, dear, I thought I’d go to a movie. I found that I had seen most of the movies, but I came across a place that showed French pictures – so I went in. I saw an interesting picture ‘Un Carnet de Bal’ – or ‘A Dance Programme’ – and it referred to the programmes girls used to have when they went to a prom and exchanged dances. The picture deals with a rich woman whose husband dies; She comes across the programme and decides to look up the various fellows whose names were written down. The picture is a series of separate scenes, thinly woven together.

I hope I’m not boring you, Sweetheart, with this account – but I want you to know what I do when I’m off. Anyway – I got out of the movie about 8:30 and was hungry – but not for English food. It really is awful, darling – even in the best hotels. I asked someone where I could get some Chinese food – and sure enough, after stumbling around in the black-out, I found a rather nice place. It was much like our Chinese restaurants, but they call their dishes by different names. I managed to get something that looked and tasted like Sub-gum Chow Mein and it sure was good. Remember when we had Chinese food last, darling? I sat there by myself, dear, and boy how I missed you! I then went back to the Hotel, slept, and made a 0650 train back here. It really was a restful trip – and I’m getting to know London, Sweetheart. If we can ever get over here together, I think I’ll be able to show you around.

I haven’t forgotten today was my birthday, dear. I took out the letter you wrote me sometime ago in which you made some nice wishes for me and us and I’ve re-read it. That, for now, will be my celebration – but again, darling – we’ll make this one up – after the war.

Right now I’ve got to go pay my men – this being the end of the month, and then I’ve got to take care of a few details. I’ll write again tomorrow, dearest – and I love your picture because it brings you a little nearer to me. Gosh, how I’d love to have you in my arms tonight! I missed you so much while I was in London – even more than in Camp, I think, because I’m so envious of couples I see all over. But I’m satisfied, darling – because I love you and that love will hold us together until the day I get back and we consummate that love.

So long for now, Sweetheart, and on this my Birthday, I wish for both of us a happy long lifetime of richly wedded companionship and mutual affection and admiration. I think we have all of that now, dear – all but the wedded – and we’re coming to that I know –

All my love,
Greg.
Regards to everyone, dear
Love
G

No comments:

Post a Comment