04 February, 2011

04 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
4 February, 1944     1300
My dearest sweetheart -

This morning I was a little bit tired – for the first time in a very long while. The reason is that I didn’t get very much sleep – due to various factors that I can’t write you about, darling. At any rate, all is well and I’ll catch up on my sleep tonight, no doubt.

I got some mail this forenoon – and it included 1 letter from you, dear, dated from Jan. 3, written January 1st; also a letter from my brother-in-law, 1 from my brother, and 1 from Verna Fine. All were from the first part of January and why they could just be getting here now is beyond me. But they’re welcome, nevertheless – particularly yours dear – because that helps to fill out one of my few remaining open spots. I never have written a diary – but my letters must read like one, and yours too, sweetheart. In today’s letter you tell me that you received 15 letters in one week, dear, and that you were satisfied with the mail. I’m awfully glad darling – and I hope that the mail continues to be satisfactory. It could be worse, no doubt.

I was surprised to read what you said about Irv and Verna – namely that they were not aware that we were serious. I distinctly remember telling Irv how I felt about you and what I hoped to do when I came back. I can’t imagine why he wasn’t impressed unless Stan may have told him otherwise. In that connection – I wonder if Stan still leaves the impression with you that the Shirley affair is nothing very serious. At any rate – Verna’s letter intimated that she understood about us, dear, and she was very complimentary too, darling, which I liked. I want everybody to like you, dear, and apparently everyone does. She writes that you looked very lovely – and for me to hurry back and marry you before some one stole you from me – implying of course – that you were very attractive. As if I don’t know that already, darling! I know darn well your qualities, dear, and that’s why I love you so much. I shall write Irv and Verna in a day or two and tell them just that. Verna’s being so profuse in her praise – is something too, because she is usually quite unlike that; all of which makes me even more proud of you than ever.

She also mentions Stan and Shirley and states that Stan is worried because nothing was approaching a climax in his affair. That jibes with what he always implied to me.

My brother-in-law’s letter also told me how nice he thought you were and that I most certainly ought to hold on to you. You see, darling, you’re winning everybody over.

About news from here, dearest, there isn’t a heck of a lot. My brother – whose letter was also old – mentions your calling my mother and reading parts of my letters to her – which is certainly a sweet and thoughtful gesture on your part. You are a thoughtful girl, though, in many many ways, Wilma dear, and I sometimes wonder if I am appreciative enough and thoughtful enough to match you. For if there’s on thing I’ve vowed to do – it is to make you happy – and thoughtfulness helps in that respect. I think I am and will be.

Listening to the radio last night – some German station (Bremen) played an old recording “I Think of You with Every Breath I Take”. Remember it, dear? I think the title holds for me; what struck me was some of the words – like “when I sleep, my heart’s awake”. That’s an interesting statement and whoever wrote the words must have been in love – because when you stop and think of it – you can see what it means. The last thought before falling asleep and the first on awakening is of you – and even though asleep, the heart – or actually the mind – must still go on thinking of you, darling. That’s good, too, because otherwise I’d be wasting several good hours each 24 hour period. Now – I’m not crazy, dear; I’m merely completely absorbed in you and I won’t rest easy until I can tell you about it for the rest of your natural days.

And I’m glad you think I’m different from the “cold, matter-of-fact” fellow you met in July. I guess I was at that, too, darling – but you certainly helped me change and I’ve never been so happy.

Well, so much for now, Sweetheart. Hope to hear from you again tomorrow – and I do love to get mail from you! So long, dear, and best regards to the family.

All my love for now –
Greg.
P.S. I love you.
G.

* TIDBIT *

about With Every Breath I Take

With Every Breath I Take was composed by Ralph Rainger, who was born in 1901 and died in a plane crash in 1942. He began collaborating with the lyricist Leo Robin (1900-1984) in 1930. Robin and Rainger's most famous collaboration may have been Bob Hope's theme song, Thanks for the Memories. After Rainger's tragically early death, Robin continued to write lyrics, including Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend for the Broadway hit "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". Here is a version of With Every Breath I Take, recorded by Frank Sinatra in 1957, 23 years after it was written and 13 after Greg heard it on his radio in 1944. The lyrics are shown below the video.


With Every Breath I Take
Music by Ralph Rainger, Words by Leo Robin

I think of you with every breath I take,
And every breath becomes a sigh.
Not a sigh of despair
But a sign that I care for you.

I hear your name with every breath I take,
On every breeze that wanders by.
And your name is a song
I'll remember the long years through.

Even though I walk alone you guide me,
In the darkness you light my way.
And all the while inside me,
Love seems to say, "some day, some day".

And when I sleep you keep my heart awake,
But when I wake from dreams divine,
Every breath that I take,
is a prayer that I'll make you mine.

"Some day, some day,"

And when I sleep you keep my heart awake,
And when I wake from dreams divine,
Every breath that I take,
is a prayer that I'll make you mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment