09 February, 2011

09 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
9 February, 1944 1030
Dearest sweetheart -

At last the pieces are coming together and as the mail trickles in, dear, I’m learning about your job, its problems etc. Today – a little while ago I received three letters from you from the 9th, 11th and 12th of January. I really can’t figure the mail out at all. Sometimes it’s so rapid and other times – it takes a month for airmail. I don’t really care, though, because as long as I hear from you I’m happy.

I also got two cards from you, dear, my Birthday card and a swell Valentine card. Both were perfect, darling, and I’ll put them up on my shelf on either side of your picture – just in case there’s any doubt in any one’s mind who you are, dear.

By the way, you are much prettier than the girl portrayed under the apple tree – but the sentiment throughout could not be any prettier, sweetheart, – and I believe you. In that connection you mention in your letter of January 12th that you’ve had no desire to go out at all – and how about me? I guess by now you must know how I feel about that – but there’s no harm in repeating myself on that score. Darling – you don’t have to go to a pub for the opportunity – as you put it. You can find it on the streets of any town or city in England. Actually it’s disgusting to me – and even if I had the desire (which I assure you I don’t, dear) I would hesitate to have anything at all to do with any one of the girls that float around. The status of disease among the British, incidentally, is appallingly high. No, sweetheart, I have had nothing and don’t intend to have anything to do with any of them. When we do go to a pub – and it isn’t often – I find it pleasant to talk with some middle-aged British couple, who are usually very friendly and like to ask a lot of questions about America. Most of the time, as you know, I actually spend my evenings in camp, writing, reading or listening to the radio. Although I’m naturally lonesome, darling – I am never bored and I never miss the company of girls – except one. That’s the truth, sweetheart, and I know I won’t change. I’m saving myself for you exclusively, and no amount of time, travel or change of position will make me feel differently.

Well – Maggie – by now you may not even be working on the job – but you’re still very magnetic as far as I’m concerned – and it was a good choice of names.

You mention Stan in one of the three letters I got today – and again there’s that recurrence of his telling you one thing, and everyone else – another, in respect to him and Shirley. His reason for that I don’t know – but in his last letter to me he made no mention of it at all. He said that Shirley had received my letter and he thanked me for writing to her. I don’t get it at all, dear, but then it’s none of my concern. The fact is that we understand each other and that’s what I’m really interested in.

I haven’t as yet told you about my attendance of the Conference on War Medicine. I got to London Sunday evening, checked in at a Hotel and had a few Scotches in the lounge. The hotel is a quiet one, with a few soldiers and mostly civilians. I read and relaxed and retired early. In the a.m. I proceeded to Wimpole and the Royal Society of Medicine. The building is much like our Mass. Med. Society building in the Fenway.

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Once the Massachusetts Medical Society
8 The Fenway, Boston, MA USA


Royal Society of Medicine
1 Wimpole Street, London, UK

The meeting started at 1030 – went to 1230 and then we had a buffet lunch. There must have been about 150 MD’s there from the U.S., Britain, Free France, Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Poland, Norway and a couple of other places I can’t remember. All the officers in this country who are from occupied countries wear the name of their country on their sleeves and that’s how we know them.

The meeting reconvened at 1400 and closed at 1600. The subject matter, darling, is classified as more or less secret – so I can’t discuss it. I got to the Station and headed back here.

Yesterday – as I’ve mentioned – we had a big Medical inspection of our own men – by a visiting team. They questioned them on basic, technical, tactical and practical problems. The boys came thru with flying colors and I’m certain we’ll get a good grade on it.

So there you are – sweetheart – up to date with me. I’m glad you find my letters “newsie” – as you put it. I’m trying always to let you know what my activities are – so you can imagine what I’m doing all of the time.

Darling – as far as beds are concerned – believe me, it won’t make any difference to me at all. It will be your choice entirely, and that goes for anything else you want, too. I’ll be glad to help you – and I think you’ll find me cooperative.

I got a letter from Dr. Finnegan today – bringing me up to date with Salem. Apparently everything’s about the same; also heard from Dave Becker – whom you don’t know, I believe. He manages the Kay Jewelry Store in Salem. He mentioned that a former patient of mine – a Mrs. Mary Walsh – was in the store some time ago. She’s expecting a baby and stated she wished I was around to deliver her. I was glad to hear she remembered me. Darling – some of them are bound to come back to me – you’ll see.

I better stop now or I won’t be able to get this into an envelope. Sweetheart – again I tell you I love your letters – and the things you write in them. Maybe it’s because I love you so much. But keep it up, dearest, your spirit is excellent and everything will turn out as we want it to. Best regards from Pete and Charlie who ask about you often. Regards to your family and for now – so long.
All my love, darling
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment