10 February, 2011

10 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
10 February, 1944      1400
Dearest darling Wilma –

It’s a dark, gray day today and I’ve seen snow falling for the first time in a long, long while. Remember, dear, I was South on maneuvers last year and saw no snow then. Actually here – the snow is melting as it falls and so there’s no accumulation. I am now in my quarters, it’s windy and cold outside, but really quite comfortable here, darling.

This morning it was quite clear out and instead of riding around to the various sections in a jeep, I thought I’d use the bicycle. As I once told you, dear, everyone uses the bike in England and the American soldiers have taken it up too. The reason for this is that bicycles are made available for almost anyone who wants to use it. So I have one for my own use. Naturally, they’re all of English make and darned good. The brakes are applied by hand levers and the bikes are very speedy. I covered several miles this morning with very little effort. I thought my legs would tire, darling, but they didn’t. I must be in pretty good shape. No wonder though, – plenty of sleep, good food, plenty of fresh air, plus exercise. Sweetheart – if I should embrace you now, there’s no telling what would happen (you can interpret that in any way you like, dear).

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE THE HAND BRAKES

8th Bomber Command, B-17 Flying Fortress
ground crew on English bicycles.

Well last night – as the night before – I received a letter from you. This one was dated January 28th and although you said you felt blue – your letter was swell, darling, and made me feel very good – so you really weren’t too blue for me.

I’m glad you finally got the little book I sent you. It wasn’t so much the story – which incidentally was light and amusing – as the title that attracted my attention. I try, darling, in as many ways as I can to tell you how much I love you and miss you. When I can get the aid of a book which blazens forth I Love You, I Love You, I Love You – I couldn’t help but use that too.

I’m glad, too, that you’re receiving Yank now. I wondered if it would get to you. As you see, we get it weekly, and some of the items are interesting. I thought it would help you project yourself a little bit more easily into our environment. You’ll get to know and like “Sad Sack” who exemplifies the Army “Ne’er-do-well”; I find “Mail Call” particularly interesting. It concerns the enlisted men mostly and they discuss, or try to – any and all subjects – not always in the choicest language either. When I get back, darling, I’ll expect you to understand my G-I talk completely. Incidentally the newest in the Snafu, Sasfu series is Fubar which stands for ‘fouled up beyond all recognition’.


Cover of Yank - The Army Weekly
9 January, 1944

Anyway – having received the book etc. – I feel that anything else I might want to send you ought to get to you. And by the way darling – you remember I promised you a Zippo lighter. Do you still want one – or does anyone in the family want one? If so – I can get one. They’re different over here – in that they’re black – for camouflage purposes – but it’s the same good lighter. If you don’t want it, I might send it to my brother. Let me know, dear. They’re just as difficult to get here – as in the States.

In a letter of a couple of days ago, dear, you mention the possibility of being at my house for Passover. Gee – I hope you can make it. I know though how you must feel about Grandma B. – and I can’t blame you. Maybe you could get over on one of the nights; it seems to me they celebrate on two nights. Your presence at my house for one of the Sedars would be very symbolic to me – as I always pictured no one but my wife or wife-to-be at one of those Jewish Holiday things. I’m glad anyway, darling, that my folks want you to come because it shows me how much they think of you, dear – that they want you to be present at anything resembling an intimate family gathering.

Sweetheart I know my folks love you – and since I do too, everything will work out fine. I love you, dear, – I can’t tell you often enough – because I want you to know how much. Do you?

I’ll stop for now, darling, and I’ll write again tomorrow. Until then, so long and be well. Keep your spirits up, dear – we’ll be so happy when we’re together again that this sacrifice now will not seem too hard.

All my love, dearest –
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about "Sad Sack"

"Sad Sack" was the creation of Sergeant George Baker, a cartoonist who had worked for four years at Disney Studios contributing to Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo and Bambi. After being inducted into the Army in June of 1941, he spent his evenings drawing cartoons of Army life using the "Sad Sack" as the bewildered civilian trying to be a soldier. Yank magazine, which was then forming as a magazine written entirely by enlisted men, invited him to join their staff. In his three and a half years with Yank, he was sent at various times to five overseas bureaus, in Panama, Italy, the Philippines, Okinawa, and Japan. A humorous, interesting and brief autobiography of George Baker can be read at: Sad Sack - George Bakers's Autobiography.

Many examples of "Sad Sack" as it appeared in Yank can be seen on the official Sad Sack web site. Here is an example from there:

CLICK ON COMIC TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment