14 February, 2011

14 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
14 February, 1944       1230
Dearest Valentine –

I have never before really felt that I had a Valentine until this year – or at least had what the word ‘Valentine’ stands for. Whatever it is, I’m glad you’re mine and I’m yours. I wonder if you got the cards I sent you. The choice was limited in this country, but anyway – you must know what I mean.

Back about a month ago I began thinking about Valentine’s Day and how girls like to be remembered on such days, and how you were being left out in the cold, so to speak. That worried me, darling, because I don’t want you to miss out on completely everything. Anyway I wrote to a couple of places, dear, and I hope you were remembered. I won’t mention what or where. If you got it, darling, I hope you were pleasantly surprised. If not – well then I’m the one who is disappointed. Today is a bleak, barren type of day, dear, but only moderately cold. Last night I was listening to the American Forces Program and heard the news from home. It seems as if winter has really set in – in New England. I’m glad you’re not working now, sweetheart, because it would have been awful to have trudged back and forth by street-car in that kind of weather.

This week I’m supposed to have another 2 day pass – this past week-end as a matter of fact. I’ve had no particular incentive to go though and so far, have no plans. Perhaps the latter part of the week one of the boys will be able to take off and I’ll go. I’ll let you know later.

Yesterday, darling, I got an awfully nice letter from Carolyn Gardner, Dr. Gardner’s wife. I believe I wrote you recently that I had received a Christmas card from him – from the Pacific theater. Well he wrote his wife and gave her my address and she wrote me. She’s a very interesting person and a nice hostess. I’d say she’s about 33-35. She did Social Service work before marrying Stuart. He’s about 46-47. They’ve been married only about 5-6 years and have the cutest daughter of about 2 years of age – named Marcia. When Stuart went into the Navy, Mrs. Gardner did some social service for awhile at the Salem Hospital. Then she went to live with him at Newport and rented their house. (They live on Chestnut St.) When he went West, she went to Springfield where her folks live and she wrote me from there. It was a very newsy letter about a lot of people from Salem she’s in touch with. She’s planning to return there soon and occupy an apartment because the house is too large for her, the baby and the maid, and she said she’d write me again from Salem and bring me up to date. I know, sweetheart that the Gardners will be good friends of ours when we live in Salem. And I know they’ll like you, dear, not only they, but everyone who meets you – and it won’t be because you’re my wife either. I’d hate that. I know of a couple such cases in Salem – doctor’s wives who get by only because of their husbands. But in your case, darling, I know I’ll make even more friends – because of you. And that’s not flattery, either, dear – because after all – I’d only be fooling myself.

I got another nice letter from you written January 31st. You tell me you’ve re-read my letters from Christmas on and you cried. Why do you cry, darling? Is it what I write? I’m glad you feel the way I do in respect to our agreeing on so many things. It is surprising too, that we seem to be so compatible. And we are finding out a good many things by correspondence though, aren’t we? I know that when I return – we’ll know each other completely and thoroughly and that we won’t feel strange. And learning how to kiss you, dear? Will that be difficult do you suppose? Wait and see.

I’ve got to run along now, dear. There’s a patient waiting for me at the Dispensary – question of appendicitis and I don’t want to keep him waiting. Charge for the call? Three dollars? Five dollars? No – the usual – on the house! Well – that’s the way it is. I’ll write tomorrow, darling, and for the time being, so long and

All my love
Greg.
Regards to your folks.
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment