16 February, 2011

16 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
16 February, 1944        1015
Dearest sweetheart,

I’m at the Dispensary now. Sick call is over, the place is clean and quiet. It’s raining a steady downpour at about a 50ยบ angle – much like a New England rainstorm during a Northeaster. Because the weather is so wet and bleak outside, I’ve decided not to visit any of the sections this morning and that explains my writing at this hour, dear. It’s warm and comfortable in here and quiet enough to dream. I shaved a short time ago (electric razor – because I don’t have to have my face too smooth these days, darling). I’m sitting at a desk, smoking my pipe. I’m wearing the conventional O.D. shirt and trousers and wearing a sleeveless O.D. sweater.

Here's a listen to the Bugle Call for Sick Call:

In front of me – across the room and between two windows – is a sketch of some plasma bottles and how to use the needles, tubing, etc. for the administration to a soldier in case of shock. At my left, above a row of benches is our bulletin board, particularly conspicuous with a large scale Venereal Disease chart which I made up recently. It traces the cases month by month that this battalion has had and I’m glad to say that for 2 consecutive months the graph-line has been on zero, dear. Now, don’t you feel better about human nature? At my right wall is a large scale map of the section of England we’re in, with many familiar New England names on it. That, sweetheart, about completes the picture of myself and my surroundings on this mid-February morning.

For the past several nights, darling, I’ve been getting a tremendous amount of rest and sleep. Some of the line officers have gone to various schools here and there’s no one around who can get off to go to a movie even. So I’ve just been sitting around, listening to the radio and reading. I got a big kick out of one program the other night – over the American Forces Network; it was a re-broadcast of a program by the Boston Symphony Orchestra, with Serge Koussevitsky conducting. I closed my eyes – and presto! I was back at Symphony Hall.

Darling, yesterday I got your letter of January 24th and was I glad to get another small picture of you! I didn’t want to ask you for another just like the one you sent me – but I did want one for my wallet. The first, dear, as I’ve explained – I shall always keep out on some shelf, stand – no matter where we are. The other I’ve got in my wallet in the cellophane jacket around my Identification card. The data is on one side – and your picture (over mine) is on the other – so that now, Sweetheart, in addition to everyone else the M.P.’s will get to know you, too, – every time I show my card. My, dear, you’ll have quite a following!

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE


I enjoyed your letter of the 24th very much and was surprised when you mentioned that we had known each other for 6 mos. The date, frankly, had slipped my mind – and I sat back to ponder about it. Six months, Sweetheart – that I’ve known you. Our association is really taking some age with it. I wonder how much more or better I would know you now if I had been around – all of the six months. That question arises in my mind very frequently. In other words, darling, will you or are you loving me as a symbol of someone you knew and cared for – but didn’t get to know too well – or am I able to stay in your mind as vividly as when I was seeing you frequently. I want so much for the latter to be the case. No matter what the length of our separation is destined to be – can I continue to hold your love and interest by mail alone? Dearest – I hope so like I’ve never hoped for anything before; I hope that whatever power attracted me to you – never diminishes. If that is so – I have no fear that when I come back – that we’ll really feel that we’ve known each other for a long time. How about the reverse? Sweetheart – there’s not a doubt in my mind at all. In the few months that I was around, I saw you often. We were alone enough to exchange ideas – important ideas – from point of view of marriage. We were alone enough to have physical contact, too, also an important point, and I believe from what contact we had that we’ll be quite compatible from that angle. Do you feel so, too? I’m glad we had enough to find that out, because without it no matter how much we felt we loved each other, that question would be in both our minds and would be troublesome. Do you feel as certain as I do, dear? I’ll be interested in what you have to say.

Well, darling, I’ll have to close now because a couple of things have turned up that I have to attend to. I hope, dear, that from my letters, what I say and how I say it – that you realize how much I love you, how certain I am of my love for you, and how much I want you to be mine in every sense of the word – If you do realize it, dearest, it should make waiting for me, just a little bit easier. I hope so.

Best regards from Charlie and Pete who are always asking for you. Regards to your family and our friends. For now, Sweetheart, you have all my love and remember I will be

Forever yours,
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about Plasma in World War II

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE
   
Medics administer Plasma on a Normandy beach

Plasma is the liquid portion of the blood--a protein-salt solution in which red and white blood cells and platelets are suspended. Plasma, which is 90 percent water, constitutes 55 percent of blood volume. Plasma contains albumin (the chief protein constituent), fibrinogen (responsible, in part, for the clotting of blood), and globulins (including antibodies). Plasma serves a variety of functions, from maintaining a satisfactory blood pressure and volume to supplying critical proteins for blood clotting and immunity. It also serves as the medium of exchange for vital minerals such as sodium and potassium, thus helping maintain a proper balance in the body, which is critical to cell function. Plasma is obtained by separating the liquid portion of blood from the cells.

In 1938, Dr. Charles Drew, a leading authority on mass transfusion and blood processing methods, set up a blood plasma system. By 1939, Dr. Drew had set up a blood bank at the Columbia Medical Center. He made a breakthrough discovery that blood plasma could replace whole blood, which deteriorated in a few days in storage. This discovery played a major role during World War II where many countries experienced extreme casualties.

Blood was urgently needed for wounded troops as war raged across Europe in 1940. Dr. Drew was chosen by the International Transfusion Association to organize the Blood for Britain project. This program collected, processed and transported 14,500 units of plasma - all within five months. Dr. Drew's scientific research helped revolutionize blood plasma transfusion so that pooled plasma could readily be given on the battlefield, which dramatically improved opportunities to save lives.


Plasma as it was supplied

Fearing the U.S. would be drawn into World War II, the American armed forces requested development of a similar blood collection system. In February of 1941, Dr. Drew was appointed Director of the first American Red Cross Blood Bank. He established an effective plasma collection and preservation organization - a model for today's volunteer blood donation programs.

Because of its ability to reduce death from shock caused by bleeding, dried plasma became a vital element in the treatment of the wounded on World War II battlefields. By the time the program ended in September 1945, the American Red Cross had collected over 13 million units of blood and converted nearly all of it into plasma. "If I could reach all America," said General Dwight D. Eisenhower, supreme commander of Allied Expeditionary Forces, "there is one thing I would like to do--thank them for blood plasma and whole blood. It has been a tremendous thing." At war’s end, some 1.3 million plasma units were returned to the American Red Cross, which made them available to civilian hospitals.

The development of the Blood program in World War 2 was a real landmark, and the increased use of Whole Blood as well as Plasma was fundamental to medical success in saving the lives not just of wounded men but of generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment