17 February, 2011

17 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
17 February, 1944      1240
Dearest sweetheart,

I’ve just finished lunch and here I am somewhat near the usual time – ready to write you. Today is just like yesterday, with perhaps less rain – but with the same rawness and general nastiness. Fortunately I can do pretty much as I please – and so I haven’t been out very much in the past two days.

One of the officers here has two officer friends stationed not far away. One of them is a Bombardier, the other – a Navigator – but both in different outfits. They were down to visit us last night and it certainly was interesting to get first hand information about some of the raids these boys had been on over Germany – all the ones you must be reading about in the papers at home. What struck me was how matter-of-fact both of them were. Also I was impressed with the pride each showed in talking about his “Fort”, what ‘she’ had been through, and how ‘she’ could ‘take it’. I could tell you lots more, darling, that would be interesting – but not allowed.

Yesterday I got a letter from Col. Pereira at Fort Bliss. He seemed pretty upset about things. It seems that they’re disbanding his outfit, and many more just like it – because of an excess. The officers and men are being absorbed by other outfits; many of the other men are being re-classified. He himself asked for Foreign Service and as a result had to have another physical. They checked his eyes and found them poor. So now he’s in a hospital down there awaiting someone’s decision about whether or not he stays in the Army. I think he’s a fool for being sorry, myself – but he actually is bitterly disappointed about it.

I was interested in your account of the preparation for Fran and Dick’s wedding. I’m glad, dear, that you did go out and get a chance to get dressed up. I was envious, too, but am willing to wait my turn. I haven’t yet got your account of the actual wedding but I hope you had a really good time. Did you wear an evening gown, darling? I’ve never seen you in one, you know.

Don’t you worry about my keeping track of the kisses, sweetheart. And doubling the number of kisses doesn’t bother me at all, I can assure you. We’ll probably have to take it slow at first, because if we both end up with sore lips – it will be too bad. I’ll give you the single figure from time to time, dear, and you can figure that the same holds for you – that is – if you think you can keep up with me, darling. The last figure, by the way, was 4850. The new figure is 5199. Kisses will be paid off at the demand of the creditor. Joint kisses will be considered as a single kiss; all kisses interrupted by a phone call or any other extraneous disturbance will be considered no kiss. Time limit – at discretion of the kisser. If these rules are satisfactory, sweetheart, it’s a deal.

I’m glad you feel that I really love you when I write I do. You know I found saying nice things – somewhat difficult. I could never say them just for the effect. After I got to know you, darling, and felt the way I do about you – it was the easiest thing in the world for me to express myself. I just hadn’t met the right girl until I met you, dear, and once I did – well I really know whom I love and how much.

Dearest – I must run along now over to the Dispensary. I really should be there right after lunch, but if I don’t write you early I feel as if I haven’t really started the day and that’s why I sneak over here and try to get a letter written. Now I can go over to the dispensary and see some soldiers, give a class and take care of a few other matters. I love you, dear, and no matter how envious you may be of other couples getting married, etc. – you can’t envy their amount of love – because I’m sure no fellow loves his girl more than I love you. Will you always keep that in mind?

So long for now, Sweetheart. Until tomorrow – you have

All my love,
Greg
Regards
Love
G

* TIDBIT *

about Bombardiers, Navigators and
Pride in the Flying Fortress

Following are excerpts from the Pilot Training Manual for the B-17 Flying Fortress, which was issued to B-17 pilots during World War II and was considered to be the "textbook of the B-17". This information was copied from Marshall Stelzriede 's War Story site.

The B-17's incredible capacity to "take it" -- to come flying home on three, two, even one engine, sieve-like with flak and bullet holes, with large sections of wing or tail surfaces shot away -- has been so widely publicized that U. S. fighting men could afford to joke about it. Here are two examples:

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE


But the fact remains: the rugged Forts can take it and still fly home. Why? The B-17 is built for battle. Its wings are constructed with heavy truss-type spars which tend to localize damage by enemy fire so that basic wing strength is not affected. Because of its unusual tail design, the airplane can be flown successfully even when vertical or horizontal tail surfaces have been partially destroyed, or with one or more engines shot away. Even when battle damage prevents use of all other control methods, the autopilot provides near-normal maneuverability.

The following diagram shows the B-17 and the location of her crewmen as they worked:


The navigator's job is to direct your flight from departure to destination and return. He must know the exact position of the airplane at all times. Navigation is the art of determining geographic positions by means of (a) pilotage, (b) dead reckoning, (c) radio, or (d)celestial navigation, or any combination of these 4 methods. By any one or combination of methods the navigator determines the position of the airplane in relation to the earth.

Instrument calibration is an important duty of the navigator. All navigation depends directly on the accuracy of his instruments. Correct calibration requires close cooperation and extremely careful flying by the pilot. Instruments to be calibrated include the altimeter, all compasses, airspeed indicators, alignment of the astrocompass, astrograph, and drift meter, and check on the navigator's sextant and watch.

Accurate and effective bombing is the ultimate purpose of your entire airplane and crew. Every other functionis preparatory to hitting and destroying the target. That's your bombardier's job. The success or failure of the mission depends upon what he accomplishes in that short interval of the bombing run. When the bombardier takes over the airplane for the run on the target, he is in absolute command. He will tell you what he wants done, and until he tells you "Bombs away," his word is law.

Under any given set of conditions -- groundspeed, altitude, direction, etc. -- there is only one point in space where a bomb may be released from the airplane to hit a predetermined object on the ground. There are many things with which a bombardier must be thoroughly familiar in order to release his bombs at the right point to hit this predetermined target. The bombardier should be familiar with the duties of all members of the crew and should be able to assist the navigator in case the navigator becomes incapacitated.

For the bombardier to be able to do his job, the pilot of the aircraft must place the aircraft in the proper position to arrive at a point on a circle about the target from which the bombs can be released to hit the target. Consider the following conditions which affect the bomb dropped from an airplane:

ALTITUDE: Controlled by the pilot.
Determines the length of time the bomb is sustained in flight and affected by atmospheric conditions, thus affecting the range (forward travel of the bomb) and deflection (distance the bomb drifts in a crosswind with respect to airplane's ground track).

TRUE AIRSPEED: Controlled by the pilot.
The measure of the speed of the airplane through the air. It is this speed which is imparted to the bomb and which gives the bomb its initial forward velocity and, therefore, affects the trail of the bomb, or the distance the bomb lags behind the airplane at the instant of impact.

BOMB BALLISTICS: Size, shape and density of the bomb, which determines its air resistance. Bombardier uses bomb ballistics tables to account for type of bomb.

TRAIL: Horizontal distance the bomb is behind the airplane at the instant of impact. This value, obtained from bombing tables, is set in the sight by the bombardier. Trail is affected by altitude, airspeed, bomb ballistics and air density, the first two factors being controlled by the pilot.

ACTUAL TIME OF FALL: Length of time the bomb is sustained in air from instant of release to instant of impact. Affected by altitude, type of bomb and air density. Pilot controls altitude to obtain a definite actual time of fall.

GROUND SPEED: Controlled by the pilot.
The speed of the airplane in relation to the earth's surface. Ground speed affects the range of the bomb and varies with the airspeed. Bombardier enters ground speed in the bombsight through synchronization on the target. During this process the pilot must maintain the correct altitude and constant airspeed.

DRIFT: Determined by the direction and velocity of the wind, which determines the distance the bomb will travel downwind from the airplane from the instant the bomb is released to its instant of impact. Drift is set on the bombsight by the bombardier during the process of synchronization and setting up course.

No comments:

Post a Comment