21 February, 2011

21 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
21 February, 1944      0930
Dearest darling Wilma -

Another early start today but this time because I have a few things to do later and I wanted to be certain I had written to you first. I’m going over to visit one of my other batteries this morning and we’ll probably have lunch there. I also have to visit the Medical Supply Depot and take care of our monthly requisition. That’s usually a long drawn out affair.

Yesterday, darling, was quiet and restful all day. In the evening there was a little excitement, shall I say; I went over to Operations and found that very interesting. Incidentally, darling, if I ever mention “excitement”, please don’t say anything about it to my folks because they’d worry themselves sick – and unnecessarily, too. I got to bed at 2230 and was awakened at 2315. I was later awakened at 0315. It was almost like the old days in practice, i.e. the getting up –

I got two more letters, sweetheart, yesterday, written the 19th and the 20th, and a very nice letter from your Mother – who intimates that someone in the household is fond of me. I wonder who?

The letter of the 19th shows me that a girl thinks of one thing in respect to marriage and a fellow – of something else – but that’s the way it should be. I wrote you just the other day that somehow I look beyond the actual preparation etc., and find ourselves in Salem. Naturally you can’t project yourself the same way. Had I not been already set up in Salem, dear, – neither would I. But the fact is I had been in practice for a couple of years. I had met enough people to make myself feel as if I belonged in Salem – and the result is it seems perfectly natural for me to dream about us being there and taking up where I left off. I haven’t a doubt in the world but what you’ll fit into Salem without and trouble at all. I suppose I told you this before – but I can remind you again – if it’s anything like what it was for me, dear, our circle of friends will be bigger among the non-Jews than the Jewish. That will be due simply because there are more of the former in Salem. Regardless, though, I’m certain we’ll have a lot of friends and that they’ll all like you.

Your letter of the 20th – made me do a lot of thinking, sweetheart, and not because you needed help in deciding about your job. For one thing – you made up your mind about that already – and I think you were correct. Getting to be a buyer had no real ultimate point, darling, because you don’t expect to be doing it as a career, anyway. And having to struggle as a salesgirl in the interim – doesn’t seem worthwhile. Perhaps you’ll land something a little more suited to your background.

But that isn’t what made me do my thinking, darling. Your mention of Stan, again, did though. Ever since I’ve known you, for some reason or another, Stan has been in the background – whether he was doing little things for you, calling you about your watch, or telling you one thing and me another. Stan and I have been close friends for 10 or 15 years as you well know – but he changed a great deal after his illness – and apparently, not only physically –

Now since I left, from time to time his name has cropped up in your writing and mine. First it was in reference to Shirley and there’s no doubt now in my mind that he was continually telling us different stories. Whatever they were, he was always managing to see or call you and telling you about it. He ended up by saying that he was through – when the reverse seems more likely. The fact is he did tell you once that he finally knew he was in love. What made him change his mind, I wonder?

Whatever it was, why does he have to confide in you so much and call and see you so often? But what makes me really ‘mad’ is your statement that he has done and said things that made you quite angry. What things, dear? Why should he say and do things that should make you feel that way? Darling – you might as well tell me everything that’s going on – because otherwise my imagination will merely run rampant and that shouldn’t be. You need not fear that I will write him and say anything about it, for example. If they are things you don’t like, I feel you’re capable and sensible enough to handle them yourself. But if you’re being nice to him just for my sake, you’re making a very big mistake. I’ve always been on the up-and-up with Stan in every respect – ever since I’ve known him. I’ve gone out with him a lot in the past, introduced him to a lot of nice people in Salem and Marblehead and he always was welcome wherever I went. He did me a lot of favors, but darling, I believe I always repaid them in many many ways.

The fact is that after all that – I feel that one way or another, Stan is not on the square with me right now and it bothers me. For one thing, I don’t like to lose a good friend, and for another – I don’t want him troubling you. Why doesn’t he leave you alone? He apparently is in constant touch with you, and I might as well be frank, dear, I don’t like it. You can call it jealousy or some other name – but I have felt uncomfortable about it ever since you went out with him that night and he never mentioned it. I didn’t trust him from that time on. Now with his Shirley affair apparently over with – he seems to have found a new interest. Stan is very smooth and very good company; he does have a zest for living and a generally good manner – as you say – but if he’s acting in such a way as to make you write you were quite angry, I certainly wish you would discourage him.

Will you write me, dear, and tell me everything? I feel you’ve been shielding him – not because you want to hide anything from me – but because you don’t want to start any trouble between us. Well – don’t worry about that. I was on my guard right after your mother tipped me off a long time ago.

I’m sorry, Sweetheart, that I’ve had to write in this tone. We’ve been corresponding for a long time now and I’ve written a good many letters – but none quite like this one – and I hated to do it. But I must be honest with you at all times. I love you too much, dear, to let anything interfere with us, no matter who it is. Yes. I bless the day that brought us together and always shall. The fact that you always reassure me that my love is reciprocated is one of the nicest things a guy away from home – in love with a girl – can read and sweetheart it always makes me so happy to read it. My plans and thought of the future are so inextricably interwoven with you – that I can’t conceive of anything but you and me together, married and happy – after the war. And that’s the way it will be – with God’s help.

Excuse me again, darling, for writing the way I did, but your letter did arouse me. I hope you write me everything about Stan. I’ll feel easier if you tell me and I know.

That’s all the time I have for now, dearest, but I’ll repeat again – I love you so very much – I resent any outside interference. Do you blame me, dear? Best regards to everyone and for now

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment