23 February, 2011

23 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
23 February, 1944
Dearest Sweetheart -

This afternoon I received a few more letters, scattered, but precious nevertheless. They were from Jan 27, Feb 3, 6 and 10th. First, darling, let me take up the subject of my “bashfulness” – as you put it. I guess maybe I am. You know, dear, I never discussed the subject of girls very much with my folks. Most of the relationship, and it’s sincere, in my family, has always been a tacit one. So that for example – if I brought you home to meet my folks – as I wrote yesterday, that meant more to them than all the statements of love in the world. But of course there comes a times when you do have to say something. Before I left – I spoke to my folks and told them I had met a girl who I thought would make me happy and who cared for me. I told them it was unfortunate that I had to leave so soon – because I knew if I stayed around I would want to be engaged to you and marry you. They echoed my feelings of regret that I hadn’t met you sooner. The point is, darling, without my actually using the words “I love her” – they knew how I felt about you.

The letter my mother quoted to you – was free translation and although I don’t remember the exact words, knowing my mother – she’s as bashful as I am and didn’t want to embarrass you, perhaps. This is awfully hard to explain, darling – but I am doing the best I can.

Anyway, the point is I do love you, dear, and would like nothing better than to be engaged to you – and the quicker the better. At the time my mother told you she had heard from me and you got my letter too, I wish you had told her what I wrote. I know what she’d say. My folks really love you – more than I realized. Today I got a letter from my Dad and he mentioned you again, dear. He wrote that my mother is lonesome for me and if he wants to get a smile out of her – all he has to do is mention your name and she responds immediately and says “Oy a gesund zu ihr”. I trust, dear, you know what that means.

I’m waiting to hear your reaction to my letter of yesterday. More important – it’s your folks’ reaction that I’m interested in – because they must feel it is right.

The fact that you and your mother both dreamed of me must have some significance – sweetheart. When I get back I’ll really kiss her. I’m so happy when I think of all we have to look forward to – I can hardly express myself adequately.

I want to mention a subject now that you won’t like perhaps, dear, but since we must always be on the absolute square, I must tell you. I’ll feel better if you know – because we have no secrets from each other. You know of course that I had known a nurse, non-Jewish, very well – before I met you. You’ve always been swell, and understanding too, in not asking me about her. The whole thing was unfortunate, I mean my going out with her and seeing her for month after month – but in self defense, I was a lonesome fellow in my early days at Salem and there were no Jews around. Anyway – you know – we said ‘good-bye' and parted.

I hadn’t heard from her ever since then, I never wrote and neither did she – and that’s the way that was best. I won’t say I didn’t wonder from time to time what had become of her – but that’s as far as it went. I met you, darling, and immediately realized what a fool I had been for those years I had gone out with her – not because she wasn’t nice – but because she was non-Jewish. I believe I told you something about this. No – it wasn’t rebound – as is so easy to be accused of – my love for you. I enjoyed your company so genuinely when I met you – I was ‘mad’ with myself for not having given myself the opportunity before. I knew immediately that I had wasted years and that I was crazy to think of anything but a Jewish girl; I knew this darling – as a result of meeting you and loving you.

What I started to write was that I heard from Alice yesterday. It was a little card stating simply that she had heard I was overseas and using my old address – wished me good luck. What you won’t like, darling, is that I sent her an equally well-wishing note – but I wanted you to know the truth. That’s all there is to it, dear. She’s out of my life, believe me, but I had to do the gentlemanly thing, dear. I’m sure she bears me no ill-will, nor I her. She’s very much interested in a Lieutenant Senior Grade in the Navy. He’s of the same religion and she feels she’ll be happy. Darling – that’s all there is to it, but I feel better telling you about it. I’d expect the same from you, and I know I’d get it. I shudder when I think of what unhappiness I’d have brought on myself, my family and eventually on her – had I continued to go with her. Some guiding Spirit must have given me the light to sever my relations with her.

What do you think? Are you angry with me, dear? I sincerely hope your aren’t. You mustn’t be for you know my feelings about you – and as you wrote – you must have confidence in me, too. Well – I feel better having told you about it –and that’s enough of that.

Back to us – have you told any of the girls about the possibility of our being engaged? I wonder what they would say. I suppose you’ll get all sorts of advice – but, darling, as far as I’m concerned – if your folks only give their consent – that’s all I need and we’ll go right ahead. You know – I’ll get an awfully big thrill out of that realization – that I’m engaged. It will give me such a sense of security and ambition that you can’t possible imagine.

I hope the mail service is good in the next few weeks – so I can hear from you soon. Meanwhile, Sweetheart, my love is all yours – now as for always – because it’s deep-seated, sincere and strong. So long for now, dear, and

All my love, darling
Greg.
Best regards to your family
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment