25 February, 2011

25 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
25 February, 1944        1010
Dearest sweetheart –

I suppose if we had to fight the war without any inspections it would be a very dull war indeed. No sooner have you gotten over one of them, but you’re preparing for another. We thought we were through for awhile after the one I wrote you about a few days ago; today, however, we’re getting ready for two inspecting teams, from different sources. At least we hope to kill two birds with one stone.

Darling, when I’m running an office of my own, again, you’ll have to announce special inspection times, so I can “buck” for them – as they say in the Army. I’ll probably come to attention when you enter the room, salute and say “Sir, Captain A., commanding the Medical Detachment, reporting.”

Anyway, dear, while I was waiting for the inspecting teams to make their appearance – I thought I’d write you a few lines anyway – for a start.

I got your letter of Feb 12th – yesterday and that’s the fastest service in a long while now. From what you write, darling, you’ve really had some snow in February. I rather miss it. I used to like plowing around in it – and pardon my pride, dear, but the sidewalk around our house was always the first one cleaned. How’s that? Even when I was practicing in Salem – I used to insist on helping clean the sidewalk after a storm, although Mrs. Tucker would insist it wasn’t quite the thing.

Do I remember the nights we’ve gone out together, dear? How can you ask such a thing? I’ve relived them a hundred times already – in my mind, and shall continue to, no doubt. I’ve thought of them often in trying to analyze our love for each other, to find out on what it is based. It developed quickly. We got along so well, so easy, so naturally. And we seemed to like to do the same things. We didn’t have a good argument or disagreement – even once – which I think is a little unfortunate. It’s a natural thing to have – and I often wonder how we’ll act in one. I have no fear about it, mind you, because presumably two intelligent persons can straighten things out between them – after a certain amount of stubbornness has been dissipated by either side.

Now, dear, what in the world gave you the idea that I’d think you were forward when you mentioned that you wished we were engaged? I had wished it, too, you remember – but I told you why I hadn’t done anything about it. The reason always was that I wanted people and our folks, particularly, not to look at us as a couple of kids who were rushing headlong into something. I wanted time to elapse – so that our wanting to become engaged would make sense. I think that with seven months elapsed, with your still feeling the way you do about me, with there being no question in my mind at all that you are the girl I’m in love with and want to marry – that our engagement, no matter how far off I am – makes some sense. It announces to anyone who cares to know – that when the war is over, and all has gone well, we intend to get married. It will make our getting married right after I arrive there logical and less hurried. But whatever you do, Sweetheart, don’t you think you put the idea into my head. Cupid took care of that for me – whoever he is.

You mention the fact, dear, that you hope the roads are clear so that my folks can come over. I read that over a few times – because it was news to me. I was tickled, though, and I’m anxious to hear how it was arranged and everything about it. That’s swell, because that gives us a good start. I hope your folks like mine and vice versa – because the Lord knows – that’s a good percentage in having a happy married life.

Well, darling, the inspectors haven’t arrived as yet, but they should be here soon. I’ll close now – and I’m jut praying that everything will go along well so that I can really call you my fiancĂ©e. I love you dear, and that’s what I want.

All my love for now
Greg
Best regards home.
Love
G.

* TIDBIT *

about the Boston Blizzard on February 12th, 1944

CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE

Some of the 200 British sailors
who reported to the Boston and Maine railroad
to clear tracks and switches
after winter’s first heavy blizzard, Feb. 12, 1944.
(AP Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment