28 February, 2011

28 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
28 February, 1944       0900
Dearest darling Wilma –

Today is a nice fresh day for the start of another week. No matter how you look at it – it’s that much closer to my seeing you again. Yesterday was a typically quiet Sunday, with chicken for dinner and reading and napping afterward. More than that – I was even able to listen to an old Jack Benny program at 1900 – but that made me feel quite lonesome so I didn’t enjoy it too much. Later in the evening I read February 7th edition of Time Magazine which came in the mail yesterday.

Oh – one thing I did hear on this radio that interested me – was that new song you mentioned. Saturday afternoon, B.B.C. had a direct hook-up with NBC in New York – and I’ll be darned if they didn’t play and sing that ditty about “Mares eat oats, does eat oats” etc. and then when Time had a write-up on the song, I really felt up to date.

In the next couple of days, darling, I may be going on leave. The orders aren’t out yet – but I asked for March 2nd – 8th, which actually allows me to take off sometime on March 1st. I’ll tell you where I intend going; I believe that’s allowed. I don’t believe once I get there that I can tell you. That’s a funny thing about censorship in the Army, dear. From various fellows I’ve spoken with – there are 2 or 3 popular places that Americans have been visiting on their leaves – one is Edinburgh, another a place called Blackpool – north of Liverpool – and on the coast – but West coast; another is Bournemouth – on the South coast. I’m not considering the latter, for obvious reasons. What I believe I’ll do is pack my bag and head for Blackpool and see what it’s like. If I like it, I’ll stay; if not I’ll head for Edinburgh. But at any rate, I’ll be under no obligations to anyone – so I’ll just wander along and see the sights. It will probably be expensive – but what the heck, darling, during some part of this war I’m sure I won’t be able to spend any money, so I might as well now. The point is – that I’m not particularly in need of a Leave – but if I don’t take it, I merely lose it. That’s why everyone is taking his in turn.

Anyway – I’ll keep in touch with you from wherever I go – probably by V-mail – and assuming there’s an Army post office around. After I return – I’ll be able to tell you exactly where I was.

Darling – the new moon was beautiful and clear last night. It made me think of other moonlit nights – when we were together. There were no bright stars near it – as there were the night you wrote about recently. And no stars near it – either – that could be potential planets. Darling – all you had to say was that a planet named so and so was near the moon – and I wouldn’t have even known the difference – but would have thought “How clever!” You really missed the boat. On the other hand – I’d rather have you honest –

I haven’t heard from Stan in several weeks now – which is unusual for him. I wonder why? He always used to keep me posted on what he was doing – in his work, and in his social life. Somehow, dear, when he does write, I don’t think I’ll be able to believe him – anyway.

Well – Sweetheart – you noticed perhaps that I started writing rather early today. It was because the opportunity presented itself. The boys are starting to come in now for sick call – so I’m going to stop. I hope to hear from you today, darling. I didn’t hear yesterday, and for me too – it makes it a very empty day when I don’t. I’d love so much to be able to talk with you for just a few moments, or to hold your hand. It would help the next months be more tolerable. But I’m depending on your letters dearest, to do that for me – and so far they have. I love you, dear and I love to hear from you. I’m waiting anxiously to hear of recent developments. Maybe we’ll actually be engaged before long. Boy – won’t that be something! Hold on, Sister! So long for now darling and

All my love
Greg
Best regards home
Love
G.

* TIDBIT *

about The Hollywood Canteen and
The Jack Benny Show aired
27 February, 1944


CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

From the Dear Old Hollywood Blog by Robby Cress comes this information:

The Hollywood Canteen, created by film actors Bette Davis and John Garfield, along with MCA president Jules Stein, was a place where the Hollywood stars fed and entertained United States servicemen, as well as servicemen from allied countries, during World War II. From 1942 until Thanksgiving 1945, servicemen who ventured into Hollywood for a night out could gain access to the Canteen if they were in uniform. Everything was free of charge.

The Andrew Sisters, Jimmy Durante, James Cagney, Betty Hutton, Danny Kaye, Shirley Temple, Ruby Keeler, Ronald Reagan, Dorothy Lamour, Dana Andrews, you name it - if you were a big Hollywood star you volunteered at the Hollywood Canteen. Some served food, others sang and danced, the comedians cracked jokes - the actresses even danced with the servicemen. The one millionth guest to visit the Hollywood Canteen was lucky enough to receive a kiss from Betty Grable! On one night, at the nearby corner of Sunset and Wilcox, a tent was set up where Orson Welles performed magic tricks. One of the tricks was sawing his wife Rita Hayworth in half!

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Marlene Dietrich and Rita Hayworth Serve Coffee

But it wasn't just the stars that volunteered at the Hollywood Canteen. Producers, writers, technicians, costumers, agents, assistants, publicists and many others who worked in Hollywood volunteered as well. Even the murals painted inside the Canteen were the volunteered work of some of Hollywood's cartoonists.


Cary Grant

And now for a bit of entertainment...



The Jack Benny Show as Greg heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment