09 March, 2011

09 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
9 March, 1944        1400
My dearest darling Wilma –

I spent so enjoyable an evening last night – just reading your letters and dreaming, that I couldn’t help wondering why I ever went to London, when I could be happier reading your letters as they arrived from day to day.

They were as sweet a group of letters as I’ve received at one time – and my happiness, darling, is something I just never experienced before. One thing I must make clear, though, and that is that I’m the lucky one in this combine, more so than you – because in you as my wife-to-be I have as sweet and lovable a girl as any fellow ever wished for.

Your ability, desire, and energy, Sweetheart, in arranging for my folks to meet yours was admirable and I’m fortunate to have a darling who cares enough for me to want to see things develop – even though times are difficult. And it would be so easy – with false modesty – not to want to do what you’ve done. That’s why I admire and love you, dear – because you’re so sincere and honest, and I know you’ll always be so.

I read with understanding your balancing between what you’d like to do, dear, and what perhaps better wisdom tells you to do. I haven’t had the chance to talk things over with anyone. I’ve written my folks but haven’t heard from them as yet – although I know right well what they’ll say. You implied how my mother felt when you told her of our planning. I’ll grant you though that it’s different with a boy than with a girl – and I can readily understand how a girl’s parents might feel a bit hesitant. You went from “let’s wait” to “let’s not wait” – all in one letter darling. And I feel terrible about the fact that when something as big as that happens to a boy and girl – that they can’t be together to talk things over and enjoy the thrill that the discussion might bring. But these are such unusual times, sweetheart and everything is different. I tell myself though that to have been able meet you, love you and have you love me is more than I deserve – and so rather than feel cheated, dear, I feel that fate has handled me very kindly. I love you as strongly as I know how and I have never felt surer of anything than I feel about us.

Well – what to do then? I too would love to be present to put a ring on your finger – not for the ‘show’, darling, but for the symbolism. Will you be any more mine with a ring? I don’t think so – and yet I want to feel that you really are my fiancĂ©e. I want you to feel that you’re free to tell everyone about us. I know it will be unusual – but it can be announced formally and I don’t have to be present physically.

I’m not going to be stubborn, darling, because there’s no point to it. If the weight of opinion indicates the opposite – well – we’ll see, dear. Of course I don’t mind your discussing it with your immediate family and relatives. I’m glad that they think enough of me not to think you foolish for wanting to be engaged to me. It shows broadness on their part and I certainly appreciate it and hope that their judgment of me won’t be found lacking. I know I can be very fond of all of them.

I’m going to have to stop writing now, darling, because about 16 things have turned up since I started writing this letter. One of them is a rather badly cut right index finger which I’m going to repair soon. The fellow is being prepared now. Several things have changed since I was on Leave – nothing radical, just some changes in policy in the battalion. Also I’m behind in some of our records and I’m going to catch up on that tonight. Incidentally, concerning your various guesses about our outfit, dear, – don’t worry, everything is all right and will be. All you need is faith and that will carry us both through I know.

So long for now – my darling. You make me very happy and I know you’ll always be able to make me so. I’ll write tomorrow. Meanwhile – All my love is yours for always,

Greg
Best regards to the family.
Love,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment