15 March, 2011

15 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
15 March, 1944       1125
Dearest sweetheart –

The Ides of March and still no action – I suppose they know what they’re doing but I do wish something would happen soon. No letter this morning but maybe I’ll get something this evening, dear.

Last night was quiet – early evening – and active around midnight. I did some more writing, a letter to Mary and one to a friend of mine who is in the ETO. I heard from him just the other day. You know, darling, it will be fun meeting each other’s friends. I was thinking about it – when you mentioned some of your girl friends you’ve been meeting up with recently. I hope they’ll like your choice and as far as I’m concerned, if they’re your friends, they’ll be friends of mine, I’m sure. I used to have a good many friends when I was at college and med. School – but everyone drifts off and I drifted to Salem. It was difficult keeping up with them – but after the war we’ll have to pick up the loose threads.

I got a letter yesterday from both Mrs. Kerrs – elder and younger. Both were very friendly and reminded me to take care of myself. I also heard from Dr. Finnegan who is apparently well and kicking. There’s nothing much new out of Salem except that all the doctors are busy. Oh well – they’ll have to move over and make room for another guy – that’s all.

This p.m. I’ve got to go back to battalion headquarters again – for a battery commanders’ meeting – just some more of the Army habit of having a lot of meetings. This one is probably to get us ready for – yes, you guessed it, darling – another big inspection due on Friday morning. I think they ought to give us ribbons for inspections.

Sweetheart – I’m afraid I’ve been careless in not mentioning the rash on your arm. How is it now? When did it first appear, how much did in involve, was it blotchy or separated, did it itch or not and did you ever have it before? I meant to ask you about it in an earlier letter but forgot to. I hope it’s gone by now. If not – I hope you’re taking care of it. Let me know – will you, dear?

Say – by the way – here is what I wanted you to do when I asked for hair tonic, dear. You had been asking for me to request something and I couldn’t think of a thing I really needed – so I put down the first thing that came into my head. Maybe it was my subconscious mind? My hair – darling – is just about the same as it was before; I’ll admit it’s not much – but as long as you love me – I don’t care at all. I did write my brother for some hair tonic merely because you can’t get anything in England except creams – which I never used. A tonic does seem to keep your hair a little bit dandruff-free. But honestly, darling, I’m not worried about it. You shouldn’t have bothered sending me anything, dearest, – I really don’t need anything – and by that I don’t mean to disparage your intentions. I do appreciate it, Sweetheart, – I just don’t want you to bother – that’s all. I liked the way you fooled the Post Office clerk by saying it was something for your husband. That isn’t so far off at that – is it? Anyway, dear, thanks for the trouble and when the lotion comes I’ll make good use of it and brush my hairs beside. Anyway – I shouldn’t have much trouble with graying hair – should I?

Well – it seems I’ve just prattled along, Sweetheart and it’s now past noon. I wanted to write you now because we’re leaving for Hq. right after lunch and won’t be back until late. I feel better having written you first – as I always do – darling – when I write you. I’ve been thinking so hard of us – particularly the past week or so – but it’s always along a happy contented view – and I guess I needn’t tell you, darling, that there’s nothing quite like it. Everything seems rosy for you and me – we love each other, other factors are compatible, we ought soon to be engaged as well – we’ll have a lot to be thankful for Sweetheart – I’ll close now. I do love you and miss you terribly – but it will be satisfied – this desire of mine and that thought helps immeasurably.

So long, dearest, for now and

All my love
Greg
P.S. Regard to the folks
Love,
G.

* TIDBIT *

about the Stage Door Canteen Movie


Ray Bolger in Stage Door Canteen

In yesterday's letter, Greg mentioned seeing Stage Door Canteen for the second time. Just as Hollywood hosted the "Hollywood Canteen" (as described in the *Tidbit* of February 28th), so New York had a "Canteen" of its own, also immortalized in a movie. Wikipedia has this to say about it:

Stage Door Canteen (1943) is a musical film produced by Sol Lesser productions and distributed by United Artists. It was directed by Frank Borzage and features many cameo appearances by celebrities. The majority of the movie is essentially a filmed concert, although there is also a storyline to the film. Made in wartime, it celebrates the work of the "Stage Door Canteen", created in New York City as a recreational center for servicemen on leave to socialize with, be entertained or served by theatrical celebrities. It was made under the auspices of The American Theatre Wing.

The real Stage Door Canteen on 44th Street could not be used for the filming as it was too busy receiving real servicemen, so it was recreated in New York and at the RKO Radio Pictures studio in Culver City. The storyline of the film follows several women who volunteer for the Canteen and who must adhere to strict rules of conduct, the most important of which is that while their job is to provide friendly companionship to and be dance partners for the (often nervous) men who are soon to be sent into combat, no romantic fraternization is allowed. One volunteer who confesses to only becoming involved in the Canteen in order to be discovered by one of the Hollywood stars in attendance, ultimately finds herself falling in love with one of the soldiers.

Star appearances range from momentary cameos, such as Johnny Weissmuller, seen working in the canteen's kitchen, to more substantial roles such as Katharine Hepburn, who helps advance the plot. Most of the cameos were filmed at the studio, but a number of spots -- Benny Goodman's, for example -- were filmed in New York City.

The list of entertainers is mammoth. Those highlighted below either performed a number or had extended dialog in the plot, Actors, Actresses, Singers and Dancers: Judith Anderson, Henry Armetta, Kenny Baker, Tallulah Bankhead, Ralph Bellamy, Jack Benny, Edgar Bergen (with Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd), Ray Bolger, Helen Broderick, Ina Claire, Katharine Cornell, Lloyd Corrigan, Jane Darwell, William Demarest, Gracie Fields, Lynn Fontanne, Arlene Francis, Virginia Grey, Helen Hayes, Katharine Hepburn, Hugh Herbert, Jean Hersholt, Sam Jaffe, Allen Jenkins, George Jessel, Otto Kruger, Gertrude Lawrence, Gypsy Rose Lee, Alfred Lunt, Bert Lytell, Aline MacMahon, Harpo Marx, Elsa Maxwell, Helen Menken, Yehudi Menuhin, Ethel Merman, Peggy Moran, Alan Mowbray, Paul Muni, Merle Oberon, Franklin Pangborn, Brock Pemberton, George Raft, Lanny Ross, Martha Scott, Cornelia Otis Skinner, Ned Sparks, Bill Stern, Ethel Waters, Johnny Weissmuller, Dame May Whitty, and Ed Wynn.

Orchestras: (all featured performers) Count Basie, Xavier Cugat (with Lina Romay as featured vocalist), Benny Goodman (with Peggy Lee as featured vocalist), Kay Kyser, Guy Lombardo, and Freddy Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment