16 March, 2011

16 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
16 March, 1944       1100
Dearest darling –

Thursday morning and everyone’s bucking for the big inspection tomorrow – i.e. – every one except the medical detachment. A short while ago we had a little session (Goodman would shudder at my free use of the word) – with my clarinet and one of the men on the guitar. It’s not a bad combination. Now that that’s over, my best surgical technician is working on a case for my clarinet that will save me 35 shillings – and besides we’re having fun designing it. The only trouble is we haven’t got the wherewithal – like hinges, tacks and fine tools.

Last night we saw “Pittsburgh” – with J. Wayne, R. Scott et al. I only saw the last part because we got back from battalion quite late. The meeting was a lot of hooey – except for one rather important point – which I can’t discuss right now, darling.

And just as I expected, dear, I got two letters from you – one of them written March 4th, with a March 5th post-mark. Boy it’s wonderful to get a letter that’s only about 10 days old, darling, and to realize that you wrote it a comparatively short time ago. Sweetheart – I love your letters very much – everything you say and the way you say it. I wouldn’t love them otherwise. If you feel sometimes that your expressions of love seem inadequate – I know how you feel – because I experience the same frustration. It always seems as if I could have expressed myself just a little bit better. But I know what you’re telling me – and you must know, too. As you implied in one of your letters – recently, the “love language” is very primitive – and its vocabulary extremely limited. One thing that isn’t limited though is the emotion of love. That has a tremendous range – hasn’t it, dear? So it seems that the difficult part is just expressing the feeling. It’s too bad, dearest, we can’t be close together – because I think we could show each other how much we care.

Concerning the “cons” – as you put it of our being engaged, I’m well aware that the advice you’re getting is sincere, honest – and probably sensible, too. But darnit – if you feel as certain as I do – I don’t see why my being away should make enough difference to prevent our actually becoming engaged. I think it will make us feel happier, and more settled. I know it will do that for me, Sweetheart – and as you say – it will seem logical and natural to go ahead and get married right after I get back. And the sooner we get married, darling, the sooner can we get started on life together. I’ll have to build a practice, we’ll have to build a family. We’ll have to catch up on lost time, dear, and having been engaged all the time that I’m away will prevent our marriage from seeming hasty. It’s all up to your folks now, darling. I’ve written mine, told them how I feel. They’re very happy about it – as you no doubt know. I’ve told my father to buy a ring. I hope he gets one you’ll like. The rest of it hinges on arrangements he will make when the go-ahead sign is ready. I hope there’s no hitch, darling, because I love you and want you to be my wife – more than anything else in the world. Being engaged to you – will be the first big step.

Darling I’ve got to go now. Believe me – I’m the happiest guy around – these days – and it’s all due to my love for you and its return on your part. It will always be so, too. My best regards to your folks and you’ll have to continue to impress them with the fact that we’re doing the right thing. I tried to in the 2 letters I wrote them recently. So long for now – dear – and

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment