18 March, 2011

18 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
18 March, 1944         1235
My darling –

I’ve just had lunch and I thought this would be a good opportunity to write – since we’re pretty busy today. As a matter of fact, sweetheart, we’ll be quite busy for the next two or three days – but I believe I’ll be able to write you – except possibly on one day. You’ll know what I’m talking about in one of my next few letters – but it’s nothing important, darling, so don’t start worrying. As a matter of record – let’s get this straight now, dear. When I tell you not to worry – you won’t. If I think you should worry, I’ll imply it. Now that’s simple, isn’t it? All you have to do is to trust me – and I know you do.

Last night – having successfully withstood the General’s inspection, George Morgan – one of the battery commanders, and myself decided to go into town and relax. We thought we’d have a few drinks and sit around, but when we arrived – we decided to go to the movies instead – and we did. I was surprised to see that one of the theaters was showing “The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek” – so we went to see that. The co-feature was an old Bob Hope picture – “The Cat and the Canary” – and that was billed as the feature; they like Bob Hope here in England although most of the English say he’s too fast for them and they find it hard to keep up with his jokes.

I enjoyed “The Miracle” immensely, dear. It certainly was different – and for a starter – Betty Hutton did a fine job, I thought. It certainly had a mixture of pathos – or pseudo pathos, farce, slapstick and just plain comedy and was a welcome relief from some of the pictures we’ve been seeing.

This morning I had to go to the nearest Station Hospital and straighten out some details about some of our patients. I didn’t get back until noon. So there, Sweetheart, is my time schedule since I wrote you last. There hasn’t been any mail in as yet. I’m hoping there’s mail for me today from you, dear.

In a recent letter I envied you terribly for your ability to experience a really good dream. I haven’t had an honest-to-goodness real one for some time and I’m angry about that. Your dream does not need a Freud or a Jung to interpret, it seems to me. It’s you and I as clear as anything could be – and what interested me particularly was the detail about the star coming forward to meet you. That was a good sign, as I see it and augurs well for both of us and the whole – did culminate in our being together. What could be more perfect, sweetheart? Incidentally – my mother is quite a whiz at interpreting dreams and in the past has been almost uncanny in her ability to forecast certain things about events or people.

Say I just happened to re-read something you once wrote about wearing your Mother’s ring and the fact that my sister Ruth’s was like it. I’ll be darned if I ever noticed the one my sister had – although it seems to me I do remember your mother’s. The fact is I’m quite uneducated when it comes to rings – but it seems to me that some are plain and oblong – while others are fancy. I don’t know the technical names. If you’re going to have a ring, sweetheart – it might as well be one that you like and I wish you’d let me know pronto! You know – you attempted to draw a kaleidescopic picture of our past present and future. I enjoyed it immensely. Part 6 showed a picture of an engagement ring – but I couldn’t for the life of me gather what type you liked from your drawing of it. But the whole series was excellently done – including the bed – of course; 9, 10 and 11 should have been pictures of children – darling.

Well, dear – it’s time to go to work again – and I’ll have to leave now. I can’t possibly tell you darling how much I’ve grown to love you and how much your love means to me. Just repeating it doesn’t seem to be enough and yet that’s the only way to let you know now. My whole life is inextricably interwoven with yours now, dear – and it’s a wonderful feeling to ponder over. You must know how I feel. I’m still waiting for the good news. My best regards to everyone, dear and for now

All my love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about The Miracle of Morgan's Creek


The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, which was filmed in 1942 and early 1943, but not released until 1944, was nominated for a 1945 Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, and in 2001 it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The film ranks #54 on the American Film Institute's "100 Years... 100 Laughs" list of the top 100 funniest films in movie history.

From a piece written by "Huggo" for IMDb comes this plot summary:

During World War II, the citizens of Morgan Creek are saying farewell to the enlisted men heading off to war. Trudy Kockenlocker is one of the Morgan Creek residents who feels it's her patriotic duty to give the soldiers a happy send off, this against the wishes of her stern and overprotective policeman father who forbids her to attend the farewell parties. Trudy co-opts her naive childhood friend, bank clerk Norval Jones, to help her clandestinely go to the festivities. Norval, who so wants to enlist himself but has some medical issues preventing him from doing so, does anything Trudy asks since he loves her.

The next morning, Trudy doesn't remember everything of the previous night due to an accidental bump to the head, but she does know that she got married to one of the enlisted men - she doesn't know who or even what his name is - and that the evening resulted in her getting pregnant. Trudy's pragmatic younger sister, Emmy, becomes Trudy's confidante. To get Trudy out of her predicament, they decide tricking Norval into marrying her will prevent scandal from happening. She decides she can't put Norval through this illegal action since she is falling in love with him. However once Norval finds out what's going on, he hatches a plan that he thinks is somewhat legal that will legitimize Trudy's pregnancy. When the plan backfires, Norval is arrested and Trudy's father finds out the predicament his daughter his in. Constable Kockenlocker, who loves his daughter, risks his own career to help his daughter. Ultimately, Trudy unwittingly ends up being able to save herself and the lives of all those around her.

Here is the trailer from the movie:


as well as Rafferty's Music Store clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment