19 March, 2011

19 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
19 March, 1944       1100
Dearest darling Wilma –

If you’ve already noticed the new A.P.O. – don’t be alarmed. It’s just another change, with no particular significance, dear. The Army is always changing things around probably to confuse the enemy. I guess they end up confusing the home folk. Anyway, darling, at the present time we’re still in the exact position as we’ve been
right along and until you hear otherwise – that’s where we’ll be. Anyway – at the present – 230 is the APO for us. As before dear, your previous letters addressed 527 will reach me without delay.

You remember, Sweetheart, I wrote you yesterday that is was going to be a busy day. It was – and so is today – even though it is a beautiful Sunday morning. Gosh this is getting to be a more and more beautiful country with each passing day, sweetheart. I was always more or less susceptible to Spring – but I’ve never been in love, darling, and gee – it’s a hard combination to take – with you so far away. We’ve had a remarkable run of clean, fresh air. And the countryside is as picturesque as anything I’ve seen in the States. The whole trouble is that you can’t be here with me to complete the empty feeling I get when I look out to the horizon – when I’m standing by myself. It’s then that I feel like walking side by side with you, talking with you, planning with you and embracing you – and the fact that you are not here is compensated only by the thought that you must be thinking the same things, feeling the way I do and wishing you were with me too. I knew that Spring would be hard to take – even before I realized how swiftly our love was developing. But we’ll have other Springs, darling, when we’ll walk along together and think back to these days – and I know it will make us appreciate each other all the more.

Well, darling, I didn’t mean to sound blue at all. Just let us say sentimental – I guess there’s no doubt that I am that.

I finally got a letter from Stan, yesterday. Unfortunately is was a two part V-mail – and as usual part II came and page I did not. But what he did write was friendly and the first sentence of page II is “I know she’ll be waiting”. I know he was referring to you, darling, and it makes me feel so happy that you are waiting for me. The rest of page II tells about his traveling around in his work and that’s all. I’ll probably get page one soon and then I’ll answer. I also got a letter from an M.D. friend of mine in an AA outfit now in Italy. He writes that when they’re up front – there’s some interest in things – but when they pull them back to the rear – it’s just as if they were back in Africa or England – that’s how far away the war can seem when you’re only a few miles behind the front lines. I thought it an interesting observation.

Darling I enjoyed your clipping about ‘A Kiss Across the Seas’ and was glad to note that you were keeping the actual figures. You erred only – in assuming you still owed me 5199. The up to date figure is now 5972 – so please, dearest, change it in your account book.

Well, Sweetheart, I’ve got to go have lunch now and then get started on my work. I love you and miss you every moment of the day, darling; yet despite that feeling of distance – I am satisfied and happy in knowing that you love me too. It makes problems here seem easy to take in stride and in general is the best up-lift in the world. There ought to be more love around; then everyone would be happy. Anyway – I’m glad that we have it – because I can see I’ve missed a lot up to now. So long, then, until tomorrow, darling, and you have

My sincerest love,
Greg
Regards to all
Love,
G.

* TIDBIT *

about London Weather, January-March, 1944

Although described as "very dry and cold with below average sunshine," Greg no doubt noticed that the amount of sun doubled from February to March and there was much less rain than the previous months. 


January - Dull, mild and rather dry.

 Mean Temperature  6.6°C   (43.9°F)

 Monthly Highest 12.9°C  (55.2°F)Total Rain39 mm
 Monthly Lowest -1.2°C   (29.8°F)Total Sun31 hrs

There was a cloudy, mild and changeable start to this snow-free January. During the second week it became fine with frosty nights, but after a sunny day on the 14th, the following 2 days were very foggy with visibilities of less than 10m.  The maximum temperatures on the 15th and 16th were only 2°C. During the third week it became milder and the weather remained unsettled until the end of the month. On the 23rd over 8mm of rain was recorded.

February - Dry and rather cold with below average sunshine.

 Mean Temperature  3.9°C   (39.0°F)
 Monthly Highest 13.1°C  (55.6°F) Total Rain 17 mm
 Monthly Lowest -3.0°C   (26.6°F) Total Sun 55 hrs

There was some mild weather early in the month and on the 2nd the temperature rose above 13°C. Thereafter, although a few mild days occurred, it was generally rather cold, often breezy and fairly cloudy. On the 16th, nearly 10mm of rain wa measured, and during the latter half of the month there was occasional sleet or snow. However, amounts were small and there were several more dry days. On the 19th, the maximum temperature only reached 2.5°C.

March - Very dry and cold with below average sunshine.

 Mean Temperature  5.5°C   (41.9°F)
 Monthly Highest 20.0°C  (68.0°F) Total Rain  2 mm
 Monthly Lowest -2.8°C   (27.0°F) Total Sun 101 hrs

This was a quiet month dominated by areas of high pressure, although weak fronts gave a little rain, and there were also a few wintry showers. Nevertheless, measurable rain only fell on 5 days, with the wettest days, the 14th and 30th, only having 0.5mm each. The coldest weather, with several frosty nights, occurred early in the month, and on the 4th the maximum temperature was only 3.8°C. During the last week it was warm for a while with a high of 20°C on the 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment