24 March, 2011

24 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
24 March, 1944          1715
Dearest sweetheart –

Another beautiful Spring day, darling, and what I wouldn’t give to be with you these days! It’s so beautiful and mild here, dear, that it’s very hard to concentrate on anything except you and me and the future. I walk to and from the Dispensary – a distance of perhaps 3/4 miles – merely to get the exercise and see the view. As you leave the Castle – there’s a large driveway to the right which skirts the pond.

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

This photo shows the "new" castle and its driveway skirting the
pond in the foreground, the "old" castle remains across the pond,
and the town of Sherborne beyond.

After a while you pass out the main gate and walk along a road which leads down a hill to the town.


Sherborne Castle - Restored Main Gate

While on the hill you overlook a good bit of the countryside, darling, and it’s a pretty picture to see. It’s really prettier than most of New England – with the possible exception of some parts of Vermont. It’s a good deal like Upstate New York and Tennessee.


A view of the countryside around the castle

I’ve just returned from a busy afternoon, dear, and one I didn’t enjoy. You remember I once wrote you I was going to prefer charges on one of my men. Well – I never followed it through and let it drop. I must prefer charges now on another one of my men, because I’ve warned him about different things before, but he has persisted in getting into trouble. Now I’m going to have him court-martialed. Maybe if he’s fined some money and confined for a few months – he’ll really learn. This will be the first charge I’ve followed through since I’ve been with the outfit – but I think it will help some of the other boys toe the mark, too. This particular fellow was supposed to be on duty and came in 2 hours late – and drunk – really a disgrace to the medical detachment. Nevertheless I spoke with him, warned him and told him to go back to quarters and sleep it off. In the evening he asked my sergeant for a pass and was told to see me – Instead – he went off and didn’t show up until early morning. He must be disciplined or all the men will get ideas. He’s now under arrest awaiting trial.

Other than that, Sweetheart, I’m fine – but terribly lonesome. No mail from you today. No Air-mail seems to have come through – for some time now – to all the fellows. Every now and then they do that. I got an announcement of a marriage of a girl – non Jewish – that I once knew, just a good friend. She married a Lt. In the Navy – and in Oregon, for some reason or other. The announcement was mailed from Boston. Also I got a Salem News Letter from the Salem Police. I don’t know why I didn’t get one before – but apparently I’m now on their list. I haven’t read it yet – but it’s a one page printed affair and I suppose I’ll get one weekly now.

But, darling, it’s you I want to hear from more than anything else and my day isn’t a complete one – unless I have heard from you. You know, I’m sure, how I feel and particularly the past couple of weeks have been so long and stretched out. There must be some mail on the way for me from your folks and mine, too, and that’s what I’m anxiously awaiting. The upshot of it is that I love you and now that everyone knows it – especially you and I – I’m impatient – but no doubt you too, are – so I guess I’m not much help – am I, dear? Well anyway, you know how I feel – don’t you?

That’s all for now, darling. Take good care of yourself for me, have your Dad give you a terrific hug for me and best regards to the family. All my love for now, dear.

Greg
P.S. Happy Passover
Love,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment