26 March, 2011

26 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
26 March, 1944 1100
Sunday Morning
Dearest Girl –

Most of the fellows have gone down town to church. I was alone up in my room at about 1000 and so I took out my clarinet and played it until a short time ago. I was joined by a fellow – one of the officers – who bought a violin some time ago and between the two of us – Walter Raleigh must have had a tough time in his grave. Likewise for whoever occupied our room in the past. The name over our door by the way is “The Chintz Dressing Room”. I’m not sure what Chintz is – but I don’t think I find any in the room. All the rooms, by the way, are named.
CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE

This oil painting of Sir William Strickland
and his Family by Charles Phillips
once hung in the Chintz Dressing Room

When we have a piano available – Charlie Wright plays – and one of the boys plays the guitar and you should hear that ensemble! It stinks! But the boys sing loud and cheer us on – so everything ends up well, dear. After the war – when we end up having our own house (as soon as I can earn enough money to get one) we’ll have a piano in it, darling, and whether you like it or not – we’ll play together. Do you think that child psychology would frown on the effect upon growing children, dear?

Last night – when I finished writing you, sweetheart, I wrote my folks and also Bea. I thanked her for her letter and asked her to continue to write. I hope she does. It was about 2020 when I got thru and just then my driver came up to my room to tell me there was a patient for me to see at the Dispensary. So I went down and sent the fellow in with a possible diagnosis of Measles. It was too early to say definitively, but you can’t take chances in the Army when so many men sleep in the same barracks. I’ll drop up to the hospital later today and see if the rash is developing or disappearing. Neither would surprise me.

While I was looking the fellow over – half a dozen fellows dropped in and wanted to know if I were going to have a couple of beers. Pete was there, and a fellow named Hughes, Poirier, Davey, Ray – and a couple of others. So we all went off to the Half Moon and had a few beers. No hard liquor (which is called “bitters” here) was available. We got back early – the pubs close at 2200 – hung around the room, listened to the radio – and went to bed.

  
Half Moon Pub Outside and Inside

Breakfast this morning was between 0800 and 0900. I got downstairs at 0845. We eat at a very long table – long enough to seat 38 officers around it and we have a lot of fun at meal times. It’s the first time in a long while all the officers have been together – and it’s enjoyable. This p.m. as I wrote yesterday, I believe – Lord Digby is going to take us around the Castle and estate and point out things of interest. That’s as far as our plans go at present.

This morning I was alone for awhile and re-read a very nice letter of yours written February 28th. It’s a sweet, thoughtful letter in which you talk of us being married and confiding in each other and sharing our problems. I’m glad that you do think of marriage as being a serious business. So many girls these days don’t. It has responsibilities for both husband and wife that are more than most people realize. I found that to be true when I was practicing and various married people came to the office with problems of all sorts. In addition, darling, being a doctor’s wife is no sinecure, believe me, and yet I have so much confidence in your ability to make a good wife. But there are compensations, too, and I know you’ll be happy too. Most important of all to start out with – is a good reputation, sweetheart, and I’m sure we already have that to start out with. I’m sure also that we will have the respect of the community, and that gives you a sense of responsibility and bearing that makes life worth living – and together, darling – we will make such a life. You have made me happy already, dear, don’t fear about that – and you will always keep me so.

I’ve got to get dressed and ready for dinner – so I’ll stop now dearest. I feel so fortunate in having you love me that the thought never leaves me and whenever I’m blue, dear, I think of you and me and the future – and I feel better immediately – because this separation is temporary – an interlude before we are together forever.

All my love for now, darling
Greg
Regards to the family
Love
G.

Route of the Question Mark


Page 19 and some of page 20 from The Route of the Question Mark are transcribed below, describing part of the life at Sherborne.

"Sherborne and Sherborne Castle... The pond with the lilies and the swans... The magnificent lawns and the elegant landscape... The deer on Jerusalem Hill... The rabbits... The colt... "Time Please!"... "Sorry, No Beer!"... The Coach and Horses... Mitre... Plume of Feathers... Digby Tap... Castle... Cross Keys... Swan... Queen's Head.. White Hart... Antelope... The George... Half Moon... and The Mermaid... The sweet English beer... "Any gum, chum?..."

Every pub visited by these soldiers is still serving beers as of this blog posting. Here are photos of them all:

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

The Coach and Horses


The Mitre Inn


The Plume of Feathers


The Digby Tap


The Castle Inn


The Cross Keys


The Swan Inn


The Queen's Head


The White Hart


The Antelope Inn


The George


The Mermaid

No comments:

Post a Comment