29 March, 2011

29 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
29 March, 1944        1100
Wilma, my darling –

At last we got some mail yesterday, and mine included four letters from you between March 5th and 7th. There must be quite a few more on the way. Gosh it was a wonderful feeling to hear from you. When I don’t hear, you seem so far away; when I do – you’re just sort of out of my sight temporarily. Your letters dealt with interesting subjects, sweetheart and I’ll try to discuss some of them with you.

The “Stan” incident, first of all, is closed as far as I’m concerned, dear. I suspected what was going on and honestly I think you handled it very discreetly. I never did write Stan what I felt like writing because it was hard for me to believe what he was trying to do. Why he’s so desperate is beyond me, dear, but I know that from my talks with him this past summer – his one goal is to tie himself onto some girl who can eventually make things comfortable for him – and it doesn’t make any difference who the girl is – to wit – Shirley, for whom I’m sure he didn’t have any love at all. Of course, darling, I don’t mean that as disparagingly as regards to you. I know he felt I had by far the better of the two girls when we went out together – but I never dreamed that he would operate like that. We’ll be friends, no doubt, but my estimation of him as a man will forever be low. That he would go so far as to try to weaken you by telling you that from what he knows of me I’m running around – was certainly hitting below the belt – especially when I wasn’t around. Sweetheart – you have only to read my letters to find out how much of that I’ve been doing. He apparently doesn’t understand that I’m in love with you for what you yourself are and that’s all that matters to me. He doesn’t understand that I was self-supporting before – and expect to be that – and more when I’m married to you. His own view of marriage – is parasitic, believe me, and he interprets everything from his own point of view. I’ll say this much for Shirley – she’s a very smart girl, because I believe she saw through him. He was an attractive man to be taking her out – and the temptation to have it continue – must have been great.

I always remembered your Mother’s warning to me when I first met you and Stan had been over to see you. She didn’t tell me much – but it was enough to let me know that I couldn’t trust him – much as I hated to believe it. I believe – before that – that your father had implied something about his character, too. They were apparently both quite right.

As for Irv and Verna feeling that you and I weren’t as suitable for each other – as was Stan for you – if it’s true, I’m sorry they felt that way. The fact is – they’re not in a position to talk because as I told you – they didn’t exactly hit it off themselves. Furthermore – I don’t know what they think Stan could offer you in life. Take it from me – and you know yourself – his worldliness is skin deep and what he has picked up from association with fellows like Irv, myself and others. I think you know what I mean.


The gang before the soldiers shipped out
Back row (l to r): Greg, Irv, Stan, unnamed soldier
Front row (l to r): Wilma, unnamed soldier's girl, Verna, Shirley

Anyway, sweetheart, it took a lot of courage for you to write as you did – and I appreciate it. The more I know you dear, the more you grow in stature in my eyes. You’ve got a good head on your shoulders and I’m glad. I keep feeling more and more that my wife is going to be the sort of woman I dreamed I’d marry and darling – you’ll be my wife!

Don’t worry about Stan and me. I’ve written a couple of times now – consolation in a way – for his breakup with Shirley, and more recently to tell him about the Zippo which I’ve already mailed out to him. So we’re still friends as far as that goes. I’ll never let him know what I know. It’s just you and I – and no doubt, your folks.

I’ve got to go eat now, my darling. It was wonderful hearing from you – and I can only say that each time I do – I love you more and more. By intent – or otherwise Sweetheart – you are showing me various sides of your character and I love them all. I hope I would get to know you by mail and I am – which means only one thing – it will take us no time to do what we want to do when I get back – Get Married!! Best regards, darling – I love you very deeply and always will.

My sincerest love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment