30 March, 2011

30 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
30 March, 1944        1100
Dearest Sweetheart –

It’s a cold gray day today – the first in over 10 days – a good day to stay in and read. I’ve been out most of the morning and have just returned to the Dispensary. Having signed my name to several more papers, I’m now ready to write you, darling.

Yesterday, again, was just another day, with routine duties, dinner – or supper at 1800, practice on the clarinet after supper – read Time magazine and listen to the radio program until bedtime. A nice quiet routine, sweetheart, but perfectly all right as far as I’m concerned.

After receiving mail the day before yesterday, the battalion was again short changed and there was no mail at all yesterday. I haven’t heard from my folks in some time now – although I don’t doubt there’s some on the way. There’s so many things I crave to know about what’s going on – and all I can do is wonder. I don’t know yet how your folks reacted to my letter – or letters, and I don’t know what my father has accomplished in getting a ring. You see I told him to get one – even before I heard from your folks – because as far as I’m concerned, dearest, the ring is for you, sooner or later, anyway. So I’m still waiting.

I read a letter of yours written the 29th of February. I meant to mention it before – but missed it somehow. You told me about the package you tried to send me which turned out to be too large. Although I know it must have been aggravating to you – excuse me, sweetheart, if I say it sounded funny. And by the way – you say you got me some candy you know I liked. I can’t imagine which kind that is, because I don’t recall ever mentioning anything like that to you. I’m looking forward to it, though, darling, and thanks for the trouble.

You mention a Jewish proverb – which is good, by the way. What interested me was your statement about what the Rabbi would say to us. Do they always say something, darling? I don’t know much about weddings, but I hope he doesn’t take too long saying it. I’ll want to hit the high road as soon as possible – and how about you, dear?

I’m not worrying very much about your weakness when you see blood. Actually very few emergencies are bloody and very few come to your office. After awhile, darling, when I’ve had time to tell you a lot about medicine etc. – when we’re alone and are talking about various cases that occur – I believe you’ll find the whole subject fascinating. I assume, of course, that you will want to discuss such things with me, dear.

Your statement about my folks not calling you, darling, interested me because of your reaction to it. I understand how you must feel – but I’m also glad that you’re thoughtful enough to realize that fundamentally they love you. You must understand my mother completely though to see why she doesn’t call you much. She’s so darned sensitive that she probably doesn’t call for fear that she’ll be disturbing you – or bothering you. That’s a fact, because she’s like that with my sister Ruth. I can remember my sister complaining that my mother didn’t call her often enough and my mother answering that she was afraid she’d be interfering with her work or anything else – and mind you, dear, – that was her own daughter. I’m not trying to excuse her, darling, just to explain her. I know you’re fond of my mother and that’s what counts – because I know how much she thinks of you.

I like to read your thoughts about us sitting around together of an evening – doing anything, but the point being that we’ll be together, just you and I. It’s so nice to think about and ponder over – and I’m so glad you really feel I love you. I feel that way about you and it gives me an indescribable satisfaction. You really didn’t get too much courting from me, darling, but as far as being on my “best behavior” is concerned – I don’t believe in that. I do think we got to know enough of each other to see thru the usual superficialities of new acquaintances and once that was done – we saw each other as real people and fell in love with each other on that basis. I know that we have lots to learn about each others' characteristics, but dear – I think you’ll find I’m just about the same as you already know me. If you love me that way – then I know you won’t change your mind.

I’m going back to the Castle now and get my lunch. I’m a little late – but when I start writing you – I hate to stop. I hope I hear from you, your folks and mine today or mighty soon. I love you, darling, and miss you and I can’t remind you of that fact often enough. Be well, dear, and send my love to your folks. I’ll write tomorrow. For now – so long and

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment