31 March, 2011

31 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
31 March, 1944         1000
Good Morning, darling –

It’s been a long time it seems since I’ve been able to write you this early in the day. Every new station has a different set-up and therefore a different routine. I haven’t been able to figure this one out as yet, but this morning I’m plunked down on a medical chest in the Dispensary – and for a change – it’s reasonably quiet.

Yesterday afternoon Charlie and I started out towards where our own men are billeted to give them a couple of classes in first aid. We passed a shop with some men's ties in the window – nice English plaids – so we went in. I thought I’d like to buy a couple for your Dad and mine – but you need coupons of course. After a little dickering with the salesgirl – she told us that the best thing would be to go the ration board. We did and they referred us to the Civilians Enquiry Dept and there we met a very charming Englishwoman. We told her we wanted to buy something for Mother’s Day and she said she’d try to help us. Meanwhile it developed she traveled through the States last summer with her son (16 yrs.) He had been there for a year – at The Rivers School in Brookline and lived with Dr. Tracy Mallory – the pathologist at the M.G.H. She had visited Salem, Maine etc. and we had a nice chat. When we left her – she was going to write to the Board of Trade and we’re to see her in a week. We killed over an hour, dear, and lost all desire to teach, so we walked along up the one main street of this town – looking at windows. We went into an old antique shop but didn’t see anything worth sending home. We passed a sporting goods store and went in to look at some squash rackets. I got to talking with the owner and before we were through he was going to arrange to have me meet and play one of the men connected with the school in this town. I’m going back to see him this p.m.

Well, darling, all that took the greater part of the afternoon and before you knew it, it was time to eat again. Of course – my pay still goes on. In the evening – I listened to a re-broadcast of a Boston Symphony program and helped Charlie keep our fireplace going. We talked about our college days and things at home, and what we were going to do after the war and a hundred other things. There was no mail again last night – and that, sweetheart, has been really the hardest thing to take. We’ve only had mail one day since we’ve been here. I don’t think it has anything to do with our move – but rather with the amount of space they’re allotting to mail on planes and ships these days. I do hope that in your direction the mail is coming through better – because I know it’s tough on those at home – wondering what’s going on. I can assure you, dearest, that all is well.

I loved your letter of March 6th in which you tell me you love me and it’s not because it flatters my ego, either, darling. I’m just happy to know that my own love for you is being returned. I don’t want you ever to feel though that we’re wasting any bit of our life. This is a definite part of it, and what’s more – a valuable part of it, too. If I were home I’d never have had the chance of writing you so frequently and exchanging ideas. I’d be too apt to be making love to you all the time. And don’t think we’re not getting to know a whole lot about each other. I know you infinitely more than I did when I left – and I hope you feel the same about me. That’s why I’m so confident that when I return it will be the most natural thing in the world to get married to you without any delay.

I also loved your mentioning rings. I don’t know where my father will get a ring, darling, but I do hope he gets a good one – and hang the cost. I told him to and hope he takes me at my word. He has full access to my checking and saving accounts and I don’t care how much tax there is on rings right now. I know you’re practical dear – and I like you for it. I am too – but not about things sentimental. Gosh I wish I knew what was going on back home darling. I want to call you my fiancĂ©e and I can’t officially until we’re engaged – damn it. Well – anyway I love you and want you and I’m going to have you! I ought to hear something soon – but engaged or not – sweetheart – in my heart you’re mine and that makes me happy. Best regards home, dear and so long for now.

All my love
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about The Rivers School

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

Rivers School 1943 Varsity Football Team

Greg mentioned that a woman he met had a son at the Rivers School in Brookline for the past year. Perhaps he was one of the varsity football players in this picture of the 1943 team.

The Rivers School was founded as a school for boys in 1915 by educator Robert W. Rivers at the suggestion of a group of Boston-area physicians who believed that the rugged environment of an open-air school would promote good health in days when many young people fell victim to life-threatening, contagious illnesses.  Even in the winter, classroom windows were thrown open.


Students are bundled up in warm clothing in the Winter of 1917.

Twenty-five years and one new campus later, The Country Day School for Boys of Boston merged with Rivers. The school continued to grow in popularity and size and moved its location twice more to satisfy increasing demands for classrooms and playing fields. The latter of these moves was in 1960, when Rivers settled on the sprawling Loker Farm acreage bordering Nonesuch Pond in Weston.

After 50 years in Weston, The Rivers School has evolved into a place where student opportunities for personal growth are numerous throughout the year. In addition to a diverse academic, athletic and artistic program, Rivers offers its students -- as well as other youths in the community -- enrichment opportunities through its acclaimed Rivers School Conservatory, Rivers Day Camp and Camp Nonesuch.

As Rivers approaches its 100th anniversary, one fact remains constant. Inspired by an outstanding faculty, Rivers students are encouraged to find their passions and pursue them vigorously. Students continually reach new heights of excellence thanks to a faculty that provides an environment of creativity, challenge and caring.

The Rivers School describes itself as a community that upholds the values expressed in the Rivers seal: “Integritas et Sedulitas.”

Integritas: Integrity. We value responsibility, honesty, compassion, diversity, and respect, acknowledging that our actions have a profound impact on ourselves, on others, on the environment, and on the community as a whole.

Sedulitas: Perseverance. We acknowledge that the diligent pursuit of intellectual, creative, physical, and moral excellence is essential to one’s strength of character.

No comments:

Post a Comment