04 April, 2011

04 April, 1944 (to her parents)

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
England
4 April 1944

Dear Folks –

A short time ago I received your Cablegram. It had gone thru many diverse spots apparently before reaching me. I had no idea what the envelope contained – and when I opened it, I read the message twice before I realized its full meaning. I thereupon gave out a full-lunged whoop and explained to the fellows around me why I was so happy.

It seems like ages since I wrote you last telling you how I felt about Wil – and I wasn’t sure just how you would take it. The past few weeks have been uneasy ones for me for just that reason. It’s pretty difficult to convey by letter the emotion expressed in a firm shaking of the hand and a kiss – things I would like to do were I around. I can say only that you have made me infinitely more happy than I can ever remember being before. I admire your understanding, and trust in me, and I promise to do what is in my power now and in the future to make Wilma happy and therefore you, too, I know.

Needless to say, you know how my folks feel about Wilma. They truly love her and I know she’s very fond of them. I’m certain that when I return everything will work out well and that we’ll all make up for lost time. I was very fond of you both before I left. Perhaps I wasn’t very demonstrative. I guess I’m slow in that respect but on the other hand, I don’t think I’m very flighty – and when I get to love someone I do so sincerely.

I’m still a little awhirl as a result of the cablegram, but I am fully aware of what it means and the responsibility that goes with it. You’ve made me very happy and I hope to be able to make you so too. For now – so long and love to Wilma.

Love
Greg.

The long-awaited cablegram!

CLICK ON CABLEGRAM TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment