05 April, 2011

05 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
5 April, 1944        1045
My own darling –

I wrote your folks last night after receiving your Dad’s cablegram. What can I say to you sweetheart, that I didn’t say to them? Darling – after reading the message over and over – I was left in a fog, a happy one. I was so thrilled I couldn’t collect my thoughts for a couple of hours afterwards. I realized that what I had hoped for so much – was actually going to happen – and I just can’t believe I’m fortunate enough to have that happen to me. When I can officially call you my fiancĂ©e – matters very little. The point is that your folks have given us their blessing and that was all that was needed to complete the picture. I was really concerned about the delay in hearing from them until I realized through your more recent letters that they didn’t hear from me as soon as they should have. Anyway, Sweetheart – every thing is wonderful now and it will take me a little while yet to let everything sink in. I’ve never felt like this before. I’m aware of what it means, though, dearest. I have a real honest-to-goodness responsibility – one that serves as my goal – and I know I’ll not let you down.

Meanwhile I have to sit on edge until more of the details trickle in. That’s where you have the advantage on me, sweetheart. You know what’s going on – just when it’s going on – and I have to imagine. But your own job wasn’t an easy one – and I shall ever be grateful to you, darling, for helping to steer us where we both wanted to go. I hope you’re as happy as I am and I wish it were possible to kiss and hug you the way you should be by me – but we’ll have our lives ahead of us to do that, darling, and I know now that you’re a good waiter.

Back here – there’s nothing new to report except as I wrote you before, it must be obvious to everyone that something big is in the wind soon. Just where we’ll fit into it is still a puzzle to me – which is as it should be, because if we knew it wouldn’t do us any good anyway. Anyway, darling, right now everything is going along smoothly. I’m getting plenty of rest and the right kind of exercise. In that connection – I remember writing yesterday that I would tell you about playing squash.

The school here has some excellent squash courts. I managed to be introduced to the Reverend of the school – a man of about 40. He has a lovely home in town. Yesterday we played squash – and incidentally, he trimmed me hands down. But we both got an excellent workout and we have an appointment to play again on Saturday next. I think I can beat him as soon as I get into shape again. I was short of breath yesterday from not having had any real exercise for a long time – such as long, hard kissing – which as you know, dear, develops the wind wonderfully.

Charlie and Pete, by the way, both of whom saw the cablegram last night – send their best wishes and good luck. They tell me I’m a complete “goner” – but I know they both think I’m very lucky.

I’ll have to stop writing now, dearest. I’m a very happy guy and I know you must feel the same way. I await further details anxiously. My love to your folks and best regards to the family. For now, sweetheart, so long and

All my love forever, darling
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment