07 April, 2011

07 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
7 April, 1944       1015
My dearest darling –

Tonite is Passover and although I was unable to be at the services at home last year, somehow it was different. For one thing, I remember I was in Tennessee at the time and I was able to call home and at least speak to the folks late that afternoon. Another difference is that I didn’t have a sweetheart who might have been able to attend the services with me were I home. I don’t know what plans have materialized between you and my family but I hope you will be able to be with them some part of the holidays. I know it will make them feel better. Gosh how I’d like to be home with the family and you – all seated around the table, drinking wine and making merry. We’ll have a lot of fun, someday, darling – and I hope it’s not too far off.

At the present moment I’m at the Castle. It’s very quiet right now, the reason being that there are only 3 other officers besides myself staying here. The rest of us have gone to do what we did at Wellfleet on good old Cape Cod – remember, dear? Ordinarily I’ve always gone on such things but the colonel wanted one MC to remain behind to help watch over things so I decided to stay. It will be a sort of vacation for me except that I’ll be rather tied down to the immediate area. They’ll be gone about the usual length of time.

I believe I told you, darling, about playing squash with a Reverend Bell of the boys’ school. I’m supposed to meet him again tomorrow p.m. for another match. He called me yesterday to ask if I’d like to come and have tea after the game – at his home. He said his wife would like to meet me. It was nice of him to call and I accepted. They live right near the castle. Tea, of course, darling is the thing in England, from the poorest to the wealthiest – and I really think they have something. Always at 1600 – everyone stops to have tea. It means that they eat their evening meal rather late – namely about 1930 – but it does help break up the day nicely. Their tea is very bitter, however, and they always drink it with milk in it – which I never liked particularly. I think I’ll bring the Reverend some tobacco. He smokes, and anyone in England who does smoke appreciates American tobacco – whether its cigarettes, cigars or for smoking.

Other then that – I have no plans at all. I’ve almost given up on the movies in this town. I went last night again and saw two awful English pictures – one with Clive Brook – remember him? They were really sad. One nice thing about this theater, though, is the fact that at the end of the show they play the Star Spangled Banner and then ‘God Save the King’ – and you’d be surprised what a kick you get out of singing our own National Anthem – when you’re away from your own country.

Well, darling, I guess I’m kind of thinking of home a lot in today’s letter – but it’s because I miss all of you so much. I love you, dear, and would love so much to be with you again. We were so happy together – even with the war over our heads; how much more happy we’ll be when the war is over, when we’re married and living together in Salem – living and planning things together. I have so much faith in you and the future, darling, that I know all will turn out as we want it to.

My love to your folks, sweetheart, and for now, so long.

All my deepest love, dear
Greg.

Route of the Question Mark


A continuation of Page 20 from The Route of the Question Mark is transcribed below, naming the Wellfleet-like firing practice location as Whitby.

page 20

Calisthenics in the stable yard... The twins... Calisthenics for Officers on the castle lawn... The restriction of the First Three Graders... The Officers parties in the castle... The dances at Digby Hall... Morning coffee at Coombs'... The baseball games on the lawn, and the day the team lost the game to "D" battery and we all went broke... Sun-bathing on the lead roof of the castle... Putting names on the trucks and trailers; Gigged Again, Yankee Gum, and Back-Breaker... The firing practice at Whitby, and the exciting life in that little sea-coast town... Whitby jet...

No comments:

Post a Comment