10 April, 2011

10 April, 1944 (to her Mother)

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
England
10 April 1944
Dear Mother B. –

Your most recent letter to me was as sweet as could be, and as I wrote Wilma, I don’t see how a fellow could possibly acquire another Mother and Dad more easily and with greater pleasure than I have.

I have no doubt about my being able to love, admire and respect my new parents as I do my own – for the fact is you have already created those reactions in me. All we need now is a little closer contact to further those feelings.

I am so glad that you feel I have been able to make Wilma happy. The Lord knows that is just what I wanted to do. I know what she means to you, and I guess you must know what she means to me. She has made me a very happy fellow – happier than I’ve ever been before believe me – and I can think of no greater happiness than a future with Wilma as my wife.

I must repeat what I believe I wrote in an earlier letter. I am gratified in your confidence and faith in me, and your trust in my ability to make a good husband for your daughter. I know you must have given it considerable thought, and I’m glad you didn’t find me wanting.

That’s all for now – except to say that in calling Wilma’s parents – and mine-to-be – Mother and Dad, the pleasure and honor is all mine – and shall always be so. Love to the rest of the family.

Your loving son –
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment