13 March, 2011

13 March, 1944 (to her parents)

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
13 March, 1944
Dear Mrs. and Mr. B –

Having already written you how I felt about Wilma, it seems to me I can just go along from there. I’ll admit it’s all so different from the conventional – but hang it – what can a fellow do these days when he’s a long way from home and the girl he loves is still not ‘attached’ to him?

I hear from my folks and they were very happy to hear how I felt about Wilma. They told me how much they loved her and what a wonderful girl she is. I didn’t need that information – as I already know – but it’s nice to know that your folks are all for it. It will be a while, no doubt before I hear from you – and I hope I hear what I want.

It struck me when I thought over what I had written you – that I didn’t actually present myself in the way a possible future son-in-law should. By that I mean – you perhaps don’t actually know too much about me and shall I say – my qualifications. I realize that to a girl’s parents – that is very important. I don’t intend to give you a list of my accomplishments – that’s in the past. But, I would like to say that I’m very confident that I can get started in practice again back in Salem and pick up where I left off. I’m aware of the fact that being successful while single doesn’t guarantee the same for being married – but then – background does help a great deal. The fact is I did start a practice and I know what to expect; it’s not all new to me. It will undoubtedly be slow at first – but I feel that with what I have and intend to buy – we’ll be able to get going without any difficulty; and I do have some good-will in Salem – which is after all – immeasurable.

I don’t like to write such stuff. I’d much rather talk to you two – in person, but I do feel that I owe you some measure of explanation as to my plans. I am only too well aware that becoming engaged and eventually married – is not an everyday occurrence – and that a girl’s parents deserve to know something a little bit more than just that ‘he’s a pretty good guy’.

Well – I’m glad I told you how I feel about it, realizing that it may sound stiff, but I felt it was necessary. I hope that you feel that I may make a decent husband for Wilma and one who can take care of her when she’s no longer directly under your wing.

Meanwhile – I hope all is well at home – and I hope to hear from you soon.

Very sincerely,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment