14 April, 2011

14 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
14 April, 1944        0900
Dearest sweetheart –

Little by little I’m getting a picture of what went on during the last few days of March and the first few days of April – and you know, darling, I don’t know but what I’m enjoying it as much as you did. I have the opportunity of reading an episode, thinking it over, liking it and going right back and reading it over again. That’s grati somni – as the Latins would say – but there’s nothing like trying to fool oneself.

Yesterday, darling, I got your letters of March 23, 27, 31, April 1 and 3 – and also a very nice letter from Florence B. who wished us luck etc. Well those letters helped clear up some of the details leading to our engagement, with a couple of days of the aftermath – so now, dear, I’m able to think of everything a little more clearly.

Apparently – getting a ring these days and just before the new tax went into effect – was quite an ordeal – and I’m glad that one way or another – one was gotten. I’m also glad to note that my dad didn’t waste time in putting it on your finger, darling. As to the type of stone – I guess I don’t know much about diamonds, dear. Is the emerald cut – rectangular and plain – as opposed to the round, multi-surfaced type of stone? That’s the only differentiation I can make in stones – but whatever type it is – sweetheart – is immaterial to me so long as you personally like it and it is worthy of being worn by you.

I got a kick out of your plans to have an announcement in the papers – particularly the Salem paper. Boy – some people will really read that announcement over twice and I’d give a lot to see the expressions of some peoples’ faces. You know – the Salem News is the only paper published in Salem; it is read by everybody in Salem (you’ll read it too, dear) – and every word of it is read, I guess. Well – maybe I’ll hear from some people. A little later perhaps – after I find out if anyone knows about it – maybe you can get over to Salem and spend a day or two with the Kerrs and Lil Zetlan. I’m pretty certain they’ll suggest something like that, anyway, but we’ll wait and see.

It was sweet of you to think of my folks’ Anniversary – which to the best of my memory is May 29 – although I may be a day out of the way. Incidentally, darling, from here in I hope you keep me posted on various dates of birthdays etc. – because I certainly want to remember them with you. The ones coming up now are Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. I know Mother’s day is May 9 and some time ago – before I really was entitled to call your mother – just that – I arranged for both our mothers to get some flowers on that day. I sent a check to Holbrook – or Holbrow – the Florist – in Dorchester. Do you know him – he’s on Harvard St. – a little bit off Franklin Field? I couldn’t for the life of me remember whether it was ‘brook’ or ‘brow’ – but I made the check out to cash and I’m pretty certain it will reach him. I requested him to send identical sets of flowers to our mothers on Mother’s Day. You might call or check up, dear. They should have received my note by now – and you might have something particular in flowers in mind. I made it very general. But don’t tell Mother B or Mother A, please, dear, because I’d like them to be surprised. I didn’t send the order to Penn’s because I think I got taken – although the service was good.

Darling – you mention “our mission” in one of your letters – and of course I can’t tell you just what it is. Everybody’s mission from here in is to help win the war as speedily as possible and wherever we fit into it – always know that I’m not afraid and I have an immeasurable amount of faith. The combination will surely carry me through safely, and you must never worry about that fact. There’s a lot of sick people in Salem that I have to take care of, too, remember. Anyway – always imagine – that wherever I am – is a safe place for me to be at that particular time – and you’ll rest easy. And keep in mind, too, darling, that mail will inevitably have to be delayed at times – for more than 4-5 days at a time, perhaps – and at those times – it will be you who will have to have faith.

Enough of that seriousness! Sweetheart – I’m still thrilled at everything that has happened to us and I’ll continue to feel that way always about you and me. I’m glad too that we can tell everyone about it – because I’m so proud of you.

My love to the folks and so long for now, dear.

All my deepest love, darling
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment