15 April, 2011

15 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
15 April, 1944        0830
My dearest darling Wilma –

Well it’s half a month now that we’re engaged. My how time flies! I didn’t get any mail yesterday, so I re-read several of your most recent letters and darling I’m so glad that you’re so happy about us. I know you are – and it’s so nice to read. I am too – and considering that our folks are pleased, also – all in all it sounds like a satisfactory set-up. As a matter of fact, the set-up is actually wonderful – and it will be some time yet, I know, before I’m fully aware of the fact that we are actually engaged.

Back here, darling, it’s a dull Saturday morning – with nothing particular in view to break up the day. It’s still very quiet and lonesome but should return to normal in about 3-4 more days.

Yesterday I was able to arrange a game of squash with the English officer I played with earlier in the week. We had an excellent match – and this time I beat the pants off him. They play the game a bit differently here in England and with not having been in trim condition from just sitting around – I couldn’t win consistently. But I’ve now played several times, my stiffness is gone and I was really running around the court yesterday.

In the evening we had another bridge game and spent a very enjoyable few hours – the cards were pretty well distributed. My partner and I lost – but only by 500 points, which isn’t bad after an entire evening’s play.

You once mentioned buying books, etc. I’ve thought of that a great deal – but it comes down to a question of either buying some very old odd volumes – which can be picked up here and there – or buying sets of books – not so old. From what I’ve seen – American binding is far superior to here and I think we’ll be able to start a good library right back home. I have been looking for a good set of Shakespeare – but so far haven’t come across any.

In this old town, darling, there are a couple of antique shops with some lovely articles – most of which would be practically impossible to ship home, however. The other day I went moseying around and in a corner I came across a set of six original colored prints – all of horses with different type buggy or wagon attached – each depicting a different scene in English life. They’ve been re-framed with a simple black frame. I’d say that they were about the size of this sheet of paper. They’re about 100 yrs old. I can buy the set for about £6. – and I told the man to set them aside for me. I’m still waiting for my change in allotment to come thru. The govt. now owes me about £70 and it should be coming through any time now. As soon as it does – I think I’ll buy those prints and send them home to you. They’ll go nice in a den or some such room.

I’ve got to run along down to the Dispensary now, Sweetheart. I miss you so, dearest, especially now that we’re engaged. It seems more agonizing to be apart – knowing that you really belong only to me and I can’t do much about it – but nevertheless it is quite satisfying to realize that our love is for each other only. Do you find that true too, darling? I love you so strongly and so differently – I didn’t know the feeling was possible – but I’ll tell you about it when I see you – Sweetheart. Love to your our folks and for now – so long.

All my love for always, dear
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about the "Six Original Colored Prints"

Greg mentioned his intent to go back to buy six prints from a local antique shop. Although it is not certain, it is likely that these original pencil and watercolor drawings were done by Alfred Sheldon Williams, who lived from 1840 to 1881. Although not much has been written about Alfred, he was known to be a farmer and illustrator, specializing in equestrian subjects, who lived in Winchfield, Hampshire, UK. He also is known to have exhibited four paintings at The Royal Academy. The painting shown below called "Going to Cover", identified as his, appears to be very similar to the 6 prints that follow, bought by Greg and sent home to Wilma.


"Going to Cover" by Alfred Sheldon Williams

[Note from FourthChild: Apologies for the poor quality of the following photos of the prints. Because they are behind glass, reflection mars their images. If they are removed from the frames at a later date, they will be scanned and these images will be replaced.]

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

A Dun Going Over the Ground in Style


A Hack Going to a Mill


Simplicity in a Cab


Style and Docility


The Royal Patent


The Way to Do the Thing Genteelly

No comments:

Post a Comment