17 April, 2011

17 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
17 April, 1944           0820
My dearest sweetheart –

The start of another week and Charlie and the boys should be back tonight or tomorrow. I’ll be glad to see them again – because although it has been quite restful here – it has also been very lonesome. The weather hasn’t been too good either – but the natives say that around this time of April there’s always a 10 day period of cool, raw weather – which is then followed by real spring.

Yesterday, sweetheart, I wrote you early – and that was about the only active piece of work I did all the day. I read and dozed and dreamed and listened to the radio. Incidentally it has been announced here that one game a day – baseball game – will be broadcast directly from some ball-park in the States. They are certainly trying to make us feel at home here in the E.T.O. The game will be heard here at 2130 – corresponding to 1530 at home and will mean we’ll hear a full game minus the first few innings perhaps. I think it’s wonderful except for the undeniable fact that all these radio programs from home make you fundamentally more homesick. Lying on my bed yesterday p.m. and evening, I would close my eyes – and it was so easy to imagine myself at home – and so disappointing to realize you weren’t. Well – we shouldn’t kick – because there are so many fellows in such tough set-ups.

Gee – in two days – you’ll have your Patriot’s Day Holiday. I always liked that one. For one thing it always heralded the end of another school year; and there was usually a double-header at the ball park – with a chance to see the end of the Marathon. I haven’t seen a recent Boston Herald – but I assume the B.A.A. is still putting it on. Here of course – Patriot’s Day is not even known – and incidentally – it’s surprising how little most of the British know about the Revolution etc. Apparently it just isn’t studied here at all. And in discussing it at all – they always say that the King didn’t really want the colonies and planned on giving them up – a little different slant from ours.

I was re-reading a letter of yours from March 23rd (there was no mail for me yesterday) in which you mention sending snapshots, darling. I too, get mixed up in sequence, – it’s natural with the mail delay. I got some of you as a child some time ago and I believe I mentioned receiving them. Incidentally – I have them in a safe place – but would you prefer to have them back home? Now am I to expect more snaps – darling? If so – to date – I have not received any. In another letter you mention having sent a poem on “Love”. I haven’t received that either – but it will probably catch up with me. Oh – by the way, darling, I sent off another parcel the other day with a couple of pieces of junk. I really don’t know why because we’ll never use some of it probably. But I pick it up here or there and then it collects around the room and rather than throw it out – I mail it. But I guess we can always use the ash-trays. Oh one thing in this parcel – we will be able to use – on our front door. I liked it because it was odd, and incidentally, very old. Maybe you’ll think differently, dear.

Well, darling, I’m going down to the dispensary now and get things organized for tomorrow. I hope I hear from you today, dear. Now that we’re actually engaged, it seems as if I miss even more – not hearing from you regularly. It’s as if you belong to me and I want to know everything that you’re doing and thinking. You don’t mind the possessive feeling on my part – do you sweetheart? I do love you, though, dear – so very much and it’s natural to feel that way, I guess.

Darling – I’ll close now. My best love to the folks and to you, dear –

All of my “extra special” kind of love
Greg.
P.S. “extra special”cannot
be put into words.
   Love
               G.

No comments:

Post a Comment