02 April, 2011

02 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
2 April, 1944      1430
Dearest darling,

Kiss my blues away! I got a nice bunch of mail late yesterday and it certainly did help my spirits tremendously. I got letters from you from way back in March – the 1st and then spread out until March 21st. There are still a lot of spaces in between. From no one of your letters did I receive any clue as to whether your folks had received my letters to them – or what is more important, dear, what their reaction was. They must have heard by now and perhaps a letter is on its way.

Your letters were all so sweet and lovable – even those that were “moody”. I love them all – including your reference to being “mushy” – which I never think you are. You also want to know why I don’t write a little bit more about how I actually feel at times. Believe me, sweetheart, if I don’t write how much I’d love to have you close to me so that I could kiss you the way sweethearts should kiss, so that I could say soft things for only you to hear, so that I could make you gasp a little for breath – if I don’t write those things, darling, it is not because I don’t think them, want them, miss them or dream about them constantly. Yet, dear, I don’t think I’ve been exactly restrained in my manner of writing to you. It’s just very difficult to write like that and not feel the want of it more acutely – and the Lord knows I feel the want – very very much!

I also got a letter from Ruth and one from my dad. Both were swell letters. Ruth told me about having met you and your folks at my house. Of course – she had met you before. She said she liked your folks very much and then went on to tell me how lovely and sincere you were and what a swell wife you would make. I agree.

My dad told me more about getting a ring. He apparently had not yet received my letter telling him to go ahead and get one. I hope he has by now. I’m still sort of out of touch with what’s going on – even though I had your letter as recently written as March 21st. But you still love me, darling, and that’s what matters most.

Sweetheart – I haven’t been to London again since you asked me not to and when I went on my leave – the moon was full and there was no trouble all the time I was there. The reason I didn’t go traveling to see various historic places – are a few. First of all – there’s no fun when you’re alone. Secondly – I had to drag a bulky Val-a-pac wherever I went and thirdly – you can only see shows, concerts etc. – in London. I have been to a good many interesting spots already – unofficially – and I did get to Cambridge – a long time ago.

Two days ago, by the way, I decided I would try to contact Frank Morse. We had been writing each other – but telephone numbers and addresses aren’t allowed to be written – so I didn’t know exactly where he was. Incidentally – his APO number is 526 – but I knew he wasn’t near us when ours was 527. Well – by devious methods – best not written about – I got his phone no. and sure enough was able to talk with him. He’s directly North of us and we tried to arrange to meet in Birmingham. I called him again today – at noon – and his leave was canceled. I would have been able to be off for 24 hours. So we’ll have to wait to get together. Anyway we had a chat and it seemed like old times.

Well, darling, last night when we went to bed – we moved the clocks ahead one more hour. We are now on what the English call – double summer time. If you want to think of me now – you’ll have to put me six hours ahead instead of 5. It means that it won’t get dark now until about 2100 and in the summer – not until after 2300.

Charlie just came in from a 48 hr. pass to London, dear. He sends his regards. I’m due for some time off, but since I can’t see Frank – I don’t think I’ll bother taking my time.

I’ll close now, darling, because Charlie’s bothering me, telling me about this and that in London. It was swell hearing from you again – and I hope I get a couple of the missing letters with some good news. I’ll write again tomorrow, sweetheart. Until then – so long – and

All my love, dear
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment