22 April, 2011

22 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
22 April, 1944        1145
Dearest darling Wilma –

I’ll just start a few lines before lunch. How are you, dearest? I didn’t hear from you yesterday, but I ought to today, perhaps. A short while ago – after weeks of arranging – I got a photographer to come up to the Castle grounds and take a picture of the 3 officers and our medical detachment personnel. No darling, I could not get him to take one of me myself. They just don’t have the paper and they are not interested in taking single photos; they save the paper for group pictures. At any rate, we all got dressed up, posed and were taken. While we were all together – I got a few snaps of the group and I’ll try to have the pictures developed. I just got back one roll, sweetheart, and I’m having another set made. As soon as it’s back I’ll send you a set and my folks one. There’s so much damned red tape about photographs – but I guess these will be O.K. Gotta run now, darling – dinner bell is ringing –

1225
Hello again, dear –

As you can see – dinner wasn’t very much today. I guess it was really a lunch. But tonite we’re having steak and it looks as if the binge I mentioned is going to materialize. Some time this p.m. – after I clean up a little of my work – we’re going to start drinking beer (saving our Scotch for the last possible moment). We got hold of a piano – 10 shillings a week. Half the keys don’t work – but we gather around it and yell our heads off. Thru Special Service we get most of the popular songs.

Well – to date – I haven’t heard from anyone concerning our engagement, sweetheart – I mean from none of my acquaintances. I think I will soon, however, although it is conceivable I could come back from the war and run into a good many people who didn’t hear about it. But I’m interested in some of their reactions. I was reading your letter of April 2nd last night and it must have been great fun for you, darling, to have your old school friends etc. – calling you and dropping around to see you. Gosh it would have been so nice to be with you and meet them all. But it’s your family particularly that I want to meet. I keep thinking that I met so few of them – and I’m anxious to meet and know them all and have them approve of me.

I keep telling you I’m happy about our engagement; you can’t know how much because you’d have to see me and be with me to really know. I have so much to be thankful for, darling, that I find myself feeling very humble at times. First of all it’s because of you – and our love for one another; then – it’s because of your folks and relatives who have been so darned nice about things. After all – they don’t really know me or my characteristics – and you don’t go and get your only daughter engaged very often. I’m fully aware of it and that’s what makes me love them and their trust in me; and finally – it’s because of my own folks whom, I know, I’ve made very happy – and I’m so glad about that. They really are swell parents and I guess I had them a little worried at times. It’s a pleasure to feel that they’re genuinely in love with you and therefore happy for me. All in all, darling, I’m content with the world and what it has given me. My love for you, dear, is greater than I knew love could be. I hope only – that until you can see for yourself – you get some idea of it thru my letters. So long for now, dear – and love to the folks.

Yours forever, dear
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment