25 April, 2011

25 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
25 April, 1944       0725
Good Morning, sweetheart –

Well – today is a sort of key date also. I associate it with Thanksgiving day and you know what significance that has for me. I can hardly believe that so much time has elapsed and it just proves that humans can take things in stride if they have to.

I’ve just finished my breakfast, dear, and since I’m a bit early for the Dispensary I thought I’d jot down a few lines. Charlie left early this morning for a few days with some of the others – so I’ll be able to take it a bit easier for a short while. As a matter of fact I have a date to play squash with Reverend Bell this p.m. He’s turned out to be a pretty swell guy, by the way. His wife has been very friendly, too. They called me Sunday and invited me to tea. I was quite busy most of the day – as I wrote you – but I managed to get over there between 1600 and 1700. When you’re invited for tea – you are supposed to go. I don’t know how much I’ve told you about the Bells. He did missionary work in Rhodesia, West Africa – where he met his wife. It was because of an illness – that they had to leave Africa. He then came here to take the job as chaplain of the school. They have the nicest little house imaginable with a large surrounding garden – entirely closed by a high wall. Tea is served in the garden and we’ve had some delightful chats.

Well, darling, it’s close to “eight-ish” – as the English insist on saying and that means I’ve got to go do to sick-call. See you later kid –
1045
Hello darling –

I just got back to the Castle and came up here to my room – where it’s nice and quiet for a change and I can concentrate on you and tell you I love you and think hard about you. Our room is down a long corridor at one end of a wing, but there’s always someone coming in or out of it and rarely less than 4-5 fellows in it. I enjoy that, of course, but once in a while you like to be alone and quiet.

In one of your recent letters, darling you mention the ‘story’ I once gave your mother on love, etc. I’ve often thought about that and wondered how you or your mother ever came to believe me when I said I really loved you. The fact is, darling, I still feel that successful love and consequently marriage is based upon more than pure emotion and that’s the basic point I tried to make. I know, dear, that our love will be balanced by so many things that we like about each other. It is not just love, per se. I know you know what I mean and that you cannot misinterpret me – because I love with emotion, too, of course; I’ve always felt that I wanted more than that – and in you, my darling fiancĂ©e, I’m attaining what I’ve always desired – and for that I’m thankful. With our love for each other as a foundation, plus our other mutual interests – we’re going to have a happy, interesting life and who could ask for anything more?

I sometimes grow so impatient about the slowness of things here, darling, that it is almost unbearable – but on the other hand, I have so little to complain about – I shut up my thoughts and I feel a little better. But I have only one goal and thought and that is to get back home to you and marry you as soon as this thing is over – and it just can’t last forever! That’s all for now sweetheart; remember, dear, that I miss you terribly and always will when you’re not near me –

Love to the folks.
All my love, darling
Greg.
Regards from both Pete and Charlie.
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment