27 April, 2011

27 April, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
27 April, 1944       1100
Dearest darling –

I just got back from the Dispensary. It’s beautiful out today, warm and hazy, and it sure would be swell to go for a long walk or bike ride with you, but that will have to wait a bit. This month has slipped by very fast for me, I don’t know exactly why – but probably because of our engagement and receiving some swell letters.

Speaking of letters, I got a dandy from Mother B – yesterday p.m.  Considering the little time I had to get to know your folks it’s amazing how close I feel to them – but it’s no doubt due to the fact that they make me feel that way. Anyway I’m tickled that I do feel that way, and I know that when I return it will be the easiest thing in the world to be a member of your family in every sense of the word.

It is natural to wonder how you and I will seem to each other. I have been away longer, already, than the time I actually went with you –but I don’t have the slightest qualm about us. Our continued correspondence has kept us very close together and it won’t necessarily be a question of making up the interval. I feel that we’ll just take up from where we left off in our last letters and continue from there. I must admit though, darling, that as fertile as my imagination can sometimes be, I get completely lost and bewildered when I think in terms of arriving in some eastern port and wiring or calling for you. I get that far – and I get mixed up on what follows; mixed up only because I know my emotions from that time on will be at a bursting level. The thought of the moment when I see you again, rush to you, hug and kiss you and know that I’m back to stay with you for the rest of our natural lives – well, sweetheart – that thought is what even my imagination fails to give me clearly enough. I suppose it’s better that way –

Well, where was I, dear? It doesn’t matter, though – ‘cause I’m happier when I’m dreaming – and I was just dreaming. My eye, by the way, isn’t too bad. It’s merely a purple-red color – just over the eye and the swelling is practically nil. The reverend has called a couple of times to see how I was doing. He really felt worse than I did – as is usually the case.

Oh – yesterday I got the first congratulatory message from Salem – from Barbara Tucker – who wasn’t too surprised, she wrote, because she gathered lots – from my letters. Anyway – she’s sorry she didn’t meet you last summer and says she’ll “give you the once-over” later on. She’s a good kid and I think you’ll like her – even if she is Smith!

Darling – I’ve got to eat now. Everything’s fine here except for our being apart and someday that won’t be. Until then, Sweetheart, know that I love you dearly and sincerely – and that I think only of you.

All my love
Greg
P.S Love to the folks
Love
G

No comments:

Post a Comment