18 May, 2011

18 May, 1944

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
18 May, 1944
Dear Sweetheart –

Here goes another V-mail which I know you don’t like, darling, but this is another busy day and if I don’t get this off I might not have time to write later.

Right now I’m working on a lecture which I’m to give to the Battalion this p.m. – pep talk, safety talk and general blarney. Do I hear you say there’s no need for me to have to prepare a talk on the subject?

Yesterday, dear, was quiet. We had a movie for the officers – an oldie – “Somewhere I’ll Find You” with Clark Gable and L. Turner. I had seen it before. Tonight we’re having “Flesh and Fantasy” which I also saw – but it does help pass the time.

No mail again yesterday, darling, but we’re really overdue now and I should be hearing from you soon. Anyway – I know you’re writing and that’s a solace. Hope my mail is still coming through in decent time. Will have to close now, dear, but I do miss you like all get-out! Love to the folks. So long for now, dear.

All my love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about Somewhere I'll Find You


This plot summary of Somewhere I'll Find You, released in September of 1942, was taken from a movie review by The New York Times and Turner Classic Movies:

War correspondents and brothers Jonny and Kirk Davis (Clark Gable and Robert Sterling) return to New York in early October 1941 after being thrown out of Germany. Their New York Chronicle editor, George L. Stafford (Charles Dingle), is angry with them for writing anti-Nazi stories and refuses to print their latest about a Japanese-German alliance. By using a ruse with a dictating machine and enlisting the aid of Stafford's masseur, Charlie, Jonny tricks Stafford into relating the story to the composition room, and when it winds up on the front page, he and Kirk are fired. Back in the USA, Johnny inaugurates a rogue-ish flirtation with Paula Lane (Lana Turner), an aspiring reporter who has harbored a long-standing crush on Johnny. Even so, Paula enters into a romantic relationship with Kirk, prompting Johnny to break up the affair - for Kirk's own good, of course.

Paula's hopes for a lasting romance with Johnny are crushed when he refuses to discourage her from accepting an assignment in Indochina. Later on, both Johnny and Kirk are sent off to cover the war in the Far East, where they are reunited with Paula, now busily shepherding Chinese war orphans to safety. The action moves to Bataan, where Kirk is killed in service of his country, leaving Johnny to write a passionate tribute to his brother-and, by extension, everyone else who has lain down his or her life for the cause of Democracy. When Paula hears that Kirk is dead, she runs to Jonny, and, despite her grief, sits down and types what Jonny dictates about the fall of Bataan, a story that he says is not finished yet--"there is more to come."

During production of Somewhere I'll Find You, Clark Gable's actress-wife Carole Lombard was killed in a plane crash while participating in a war-loan drive; the impact of the tragedy is painfully obvious in Gable's performance, which becomes abruptly less playful and more somber in the final reels. New MGM recruits Van Johnson and Keenan Wynn make impressive appearances in uncredited roles. ~ Hal Erickson, Rovi

Here is the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment