20 May, 2011

20 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
20 May, 1944       1030

Dearest sweetheart –

I’m back at the Castle waiting for another in the long series of B.C.’s meetings. I got an early start this morning, saw a few sick soldiers, checked the kitchens, inspected my own men – and barring emergencies – I should be able to take it easy for the rest of the day. We’re supposed to have a binge tonight – but there’s a very important draw-back: up to and including this moment, our expected supply of liquor has not arrived! We have six dozen quart bottles of some tolerable ale, and one six-gallon keg of some intolerable beer – and how far that will go towards making us noisy etc. I don’t know, darling. The past few nights, after the movies – last night we had “Thank Your Lucky Stars” which I had seen in the States – one of the Officers and I have had some jam sessions, if you can call it that. He’s pretty good at the piano, having played in an orchestra some years back and he plays loud enough to drown out my mistakes. But the boys gather around, sing, prance, tap dance etc. – and we have had some fun.

Late yesterday p.m. I received one letter from you, postmarked the 12th. There were only about 4 letters for all the officers – and I was one of the lucky ones, dear. Thanks!

You know, darling, a strange thing occurred in your letter written the tenth; for no apparent reason you mention the subject of psycho-neurosis, mental breakdowns and associated diseases. It was just at that time that we were taking up the matter of Charlie. Although his case was somewhat different – it did come under the heading of mental rather than physical factors and this makes several times now that some sort of telepathic connection has occurred between us. It’s two weeks now that he’s gone.

By the way – you mention reading in a bath. I can’t say, sweetheart, that I’ve ever done that – maybe because I haven’t had time in the past. As a matter of fact – up to recently – I’ve never liked taking baths, always preferring a shower, but since hitting here – I’ve been having baths more frequently and they truly are relaxing. Hell, dear, if you want to read in a bath – it’s all right with me; I’ll wait!

As for my “pep” – sweetheart, I do seem to have more than most of the other fellows – and I see no reason now – why I shouldn’t continue to have. I just don’t want to get logey merely because I’m in the Army, and believe it or not – an officer in the AA outfit – can get just that.

I can just picture Shirley as you write about her. She really must love that sort of life, but like you – that’s not for me. I like the fundamental, the plain, the honest-to-goodness things in life, sweetheart, and I think the both of us can find that and enjoy it. I think that you feel the same way.

Darling I’ll stop now. How I wish I were home to start life with you as we both want it. But it will surely come one day and we’ll enjoy it then. As long as we love each other – the rest will be all right. Love to the folks, dearest – and


All my love for now –
Greg
P.S. Pete sent his special regards last nite
         and asked me to include two extra xx’s.
Love
G.

* TIDBIT *

about Thank Your Lucky Stars


From Wikipedia comes this description of Thank Your Lucky Stars:

Thank Your Lucky Stars is a 1943 film made by Warner Brothers as a World War II fundraiser. The film was a musical with a slim plot, involving theater producers (Horton and Sakall) staging a wartime charity program, only to have the production taken over by their egotistical star (Eddie Cantor, playing himself). Meanwhile, an aspiring singer (Morgan) and his songwriter girlfriend (Leslie) conspire to get into the charity program by replacing Cantor with their look-alike friend, tour bus driver Joe Simpson (also played by Cantor, in a dual role).

Many of Warner Brothers stars performed in musical numbers, including several who were not known as singers. The film features the only screen musical numbers ever done by Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Ida Lupino. Each of the cast members was paid a $50,000 fee for their appearance which was then donated to the Hollywood Canteen.

The film was popular with audiences, and the critic James Agee called it "the loudest and most vulgar of the current musicals. It is also the most fun." Ticket sales combined with the donated salaries of the performers raised more than two million dollars for the Hollywood Canteen.

Here is the movie finale:

No comments:

Post a Comment