23 May, 2011

23 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
23 May, 1944      1305

Dearest darling –

I just got up from my bed with a start – to answer the phone. I lay down on it after dinner about 1230 presumably for a couple of minutes and fell sound asleep. It’s a good thing the phone rang. I was going to write you dear – before I went down to the Dispensary but I guess I was too drowsy. Anyway – I’ll get off a few lines.

Last night we had a very long Officers’ Class which didn’t break up until about 2130 (started 1830). A movie had been scheduled and we all decided to see it. Well – after getting set and comfortable – it was discovered that something was wrong with the projector – and that took about an hour to get straightened out. The pay-off darling was that when we finally got going – we saw a sterling production – “Tarzan and the Desert Mystery”. By this time everyone was in a rare mood and it wouldn’t have made any difference what was being shown. In this particular picture there was ample room for dialogue for the audience – and as a result we had the horses, elephants and everything else talking. We didn’t get upstairs to bed until after midnight – but it was a lot of fun. We needed something like that, sweetheart, to cheer us up, because for some reason or other, it was a sort of Blue Monday, myself included.

Today is cloudy and moist – but I feel O.K. I lectured to my boys all morning on physiology and pathology and this p.m. we’re doing splinting – for fractured arms and legs. The boys are pretty good at it but you can’t do too much of it.

Darling – I didn’t hear from you or anyone yesterday. There’s several letters due me now. I do miss you more, dear, when I don’t hear from you – but that’s natural, I guess. Well – maybe tonight – for now, though, I better run along – because my class is waiting. So long for awhile, dear, I’ll finish this later.
1700

Hello Sweetheart –

Just got back and finished another full day’s work. I looked for mail – but dammit there was none from you. I got one letter and it’s apparently from the Fines because it has a Cambridge post-mark. I haven’t read it yet. Gee I’d like to get one of your letters, darling; it would give me a big lift.

Right now – while I’m writing you – I’m waiting for a call I’ve put in to Frank Morse. I haven’t written him for some time and decided it was better to call him. I know just where he is and should be able to contact him without too much difficulty.

Tonite, dear, we have another movie, I was told a little while ago – an old picture, I believe – “Reunion in France” – with J. Crawford and J. Wayne. Good or bad, we go to them all – it’s so convenient to just go downstairs.

Well, sweetheart, that’s about all for tonite, except to remind you that I love you dearly and miss you more than I can describe. Be well, darling, and send my love to the folks.

All my love for always,
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment