24 May, 2011

24 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
24 May, 1944       0900

My dearest sweetheart –

Another month that I know you, dear, and time seems to have lost its significance for me. To have already been away from you for a longer time that I knew you when I left – doesn’t seem as strange to me now as it did just a couple of months ago. I think becoming engaged to you had as much to do with it as anything else – and I can hardly believe that we’ve been engaged for almost two months, dear. I still startle myself at times when I realize it and get the same kick out of realizing that I in fact do have a fiancĂ©e, who is waiting for me and who wants me as much as I want her. It’s a swell feeling, sweetheart, and it will always make me feel right on top of the world.

Again yesterday, as I wrote you already, there was no mail from you or home. I got one from Irv Fine – congratulating me and complimenting me upon my choice – all of which I love to hear, darling. He mentioned Stan’s going in Washington and running around with some Wave or other named Lt. Wilcoff. He assumed I knew her – but I don’t remember the name at all. Do you know who she is? Anyway – he’s probably having a grand time and impressing his companion with his usual charm. It’s too bad he hasn’t developed more substance to his personality, more depth. Irv mentioned that Verna was running around arranging for post-war jobs – so I assume she’s doing rehabilitation work of some sort – a lot of hooey, as far as I’m concerned. As you wrote, I agree – she ought to be at home raising a family and learning how to cook – but that’s their business after all.

We finally got our Medical detachment pictures back, dear, and I’ve already had 2 of them packed and sent out. Will you give one to my folks? After I had them mailed – I wondered whether I should have sent 3 of them – but your folks probably don’t want one of their own. It’s just a group picture of our men and not as if it were a photograph of me alone. Only 15 of our 17 men were present, but we did get the 3 officers in it – so it will serve as a remembrance. I wonder if you’ve received the box of junk I sent and also the prints. I’m particularly interested in the latter and hope they arrive safely.

CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE

438th AAA AW BN Medical Detachment - May, 1944
In front of Sherborne Castle, England
Greg is seated in the center

Last night we saw “Reunion in France” which was fair – or a little better than fair – at best. We actually had 2 showings of it if you can imagine it – for so small an audience. If nothing more – we’re learning to be exclusive. Some of us wanted to play ball after supper – so they ran the thing off at 1900 and 2100. At the 2100 showing – there was an audience of 8 officers and 2 enlisted men.

Well, darling, that’s all again for this morning. It’s time to go over to teach the men something about bandaging – or rather to watch them while they do it. Everything is still just about the same here – and it’s O.K. with me – on that score. I miss you sweetheart and love you and think of you constantly no matter where I go or what I do. Always remember that!

Best love to the folks and
All my love to you, dearest
Greg

Route of the Question Mark


A continuation of Page 20-21 from The Route of the Question Mark is transcribed below, telling a little more about life in Sherborne.

page 20

The problem on Salisbury Plain, when all the crows made life miserable for us... The early morning drilling on Dancing Hill... The day we had our picture taken... Bill Smith's wedding in the Abbey, and we all marched down to attend it... The classes in map-reading and air-craft identification... The girl that Capt Peterson used to bring to the dances... The two mangy sheep-dogs at the castle...

No comments:

Post a Comment