25 May, 2011

25 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
25 May, 1944        0730

Dearest Sweetheart –

Starting today’s letter at this time in the morning again reminds me of the days when I first started writing you back at Camp Edwards and used to write early so that my ambulance driver could mail the letter on his routine run to the hospital. When I realize how easy it was to be in the Army and be in the United States at the same time, I can’t help but wince – a little bit, but I guess I could be in much worse places than I am now, dear.

In case I haven’t already mentioned it, darling, I got some mail yesterday p.m. and you just can’t imagine how much better I felt after reading 3 of your letters. The fact is I had been feeling kind of in the dumps all week for various reasons – and not hearing from you, darling, wasn’t helping one bit. Incidentally – from your 3 letters I gathered that there was some delay in my mail too. I hope it wasn’t too long, dear, but again I must caution you that one of these days there will probably be a break in the continuity of the service – and you mustn’t worry when that happens. Furthermore, sweetheart, you’ll have to help Mother A and B not to worry. I know how futile that sounds – but reassurance is about the only medicine for worry – and that’s what you’ll have to give them; your dose – you’ll have to get from me.

Your letters, dear, were postmarked the 13th, 16th and 17th – so that I was able to get a running account of what went on the week-end of the 14th. It sounds as if everything went off very well and I’m sure I’ll hear a report on it from my folks. The gifts you mention sound useful, darling, and I sure would love to see them – on. I can just picture Grammy Bernstein and my dad. I’ll bet they ended in a dead heat – because – at the very least – my father is a champion along those lines. But he always means well – and that’s what counts, I guess.

You really aroused my interest darling in your account of Lawrence’s going out 3-4 times with the same girl. I don’t care who she is as long as he goes out, but I notice you said ‘winter’. The point is, if he’d go out often enough, he would create a desire to continue and he’d soon find out for himself whether the girl was the right type for him at all. But if he did get out – he’s certainly been very uncommunicative about it. But that’s what you’d expect from him.

I enjoyed Bea’s appendix to one of your letters, dear, and she certainly sounds like a friendly, regular sort – and I know I’ll like her and Frank. I’ve made a note of Major Flaschner’s APO – but off-hand, I don’t know where it is – although I’d say London as first choice. But someday I may be able to run into him. Incidentally – there was a reunion of all Harvard men in the ETO yesterday at the Grosvenor House in London – but I couldn’t go – unfortunately. Well – I’ll go after the war – and you’ll be able to go with me. And think of the games we’ll see together! Of course – dear – I’ll go to your reunions too.

Darling – I’ve got to leave for the Dispensary now. Remember, dear, I love you very strongly, miss you, want you – and won’t rest easy until I’m home again and married to you.

Love to the folks and

All my love for now
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about the Legacy of Major "Frank" Flaschner


From the Flaschner Judicial Institute web site comes this:

The Flaschner Judicial Institute (FJI) was established in 1978 as a memorial to the late Chief Justice Franklin N. Flaschner, a man beloved by many and admired by all. During his career, Chief Justice Flaschner was known as a progressive court reformer. In the 1970s, for example, he led the successful efforts to end part-time judgeships, and he was one of the first and most forceful advocates for the creation of the Judicial Conduct Commission.

First among the Chief Justice’s priorities, however, was his insistence on the importance of judicial education. “Apart from the judicial selection process, the most meaningful factor in improving professionalism is commitment to judicial education,” Chief Justice Flaschner once said. He believed that judges who are accomplished in the law would gain the confidence of not only the bar, but also of the greater public. He understood that judges who conduct their courtrooms with competence and courtesy would better administer justice and avoid complaint and criticism.

The Flaschner Institute works to assist both new and experienced Massachusetts judges throughout their judicial careers in their continuing education and professional development. The Institute seeks to advance the administration of justice by promoting the highest possible standards of judicial professionalism.

Each year, the Flaschner Institute collaborates with local, state, and national organizations to produce a wide, well-balanced array of educational programs and publications to impart knowledge of the law, improve skills, identify best practices, and sensitize judges to an understanding of their responsibilities to the public and the judicial system. The Institute’s core curriculum includes educational offerings in Judicial Orientation, Substantive Law, Skills Training, Sensitivity Awareness, Judicial Ethics, and Community Relations.

Judges team up with attorneys, academics, medical professionals, authors, and others to plan, prepare materials, and instruct their colleagues on a full range of topics related to their work. Frequently characterized as a “self-help judges’ organization,” the Flaschner Institute enjoys the enthusiastic support and participation of the Massachusetts judiciary. Approximately 80 percent of the bench voluntarily participates each year in Flaschner programs and activities.

In our 30+ years of service, the Flaschner Institute has won numerous local and national awards, including the American Bar Association’s coveted “State Judicial Education Award” given nationally to the most outstanding educational organization serving a state judiciary.

The Flaschner Judicial Institute is affiliated with the Social Law Library, and receives major funding from the Massachusetts Bar Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment