26 May, 2011

26 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
26 May, 1944        0730

My dearest darling –

I rather like the idea of writing you so early in the day. It puts me in the right mood. I felt so good all day yesterday – I was certain it was due to that. Although I didn’t hear from you, dear, I did get a letter from my father – as I expected – telling me about the Sunday spent at your house; also as I expected, the folks had a grand time, enjoyed meeting more of the relatives and thought everyone was very friendly to them. But best of all, darling, was what my father had to say about you, namely – that you are the loveliest, sweetest girl a guy could possibly pick for a wife and that he insisted, as did my mother, that I’d hurry up and come home – so that I could marry you. You know, sweetheart, it’s so wonderful to be in love and realize that you’re a lucky fellow to have the girl you’ve always wanted – but what makes me feel particularly content is the fact that my folks love you as much as they do. And I know – and I’m sure you do too – that they are as sincere as two people could possibly be. If you don’t know it – you will. I’ve never known them to be otherwise – and that’s why I love to read my father’s letter and see how much they love you and want you to be one of their children. Incidentally – my dad writes that you tried on the house-coat – or whatever you call it – and that you looked lovely.

The enclosed negatives and prints are all I was able to get back. There are 5 of the negatives and only 4 pictures – for some reason or another, dear, but you can do what you want with them. My folks will probably want 1 or 2 – but you can take care of that I guess. It’s an awful chore getting pictures censored here – and this is the first roll I’ve had any luck with at all.

I’m glad that knocker arrived, dear. It’s really a rare one and an antique. The house from which is was removed has been standing for 200 years and is the present cite of our Dispensary. The rest of the stuff was junk – but I had to get it out of the way. Incidentally you mention that you’re anxious to see the prints. Have I referred to them in any other terms than print? What I mean is that if I just mentioned the word print – I wonder if you think I’m referring to some cloth. If I didn’t make myself clear – I meant etchings. I just don’t want you to be disappointed, darling, although I think you’ll like these anyway. And while I’m on the subject – Silverware is practically non-existent here and even in London. What they had was gobbled up by the 1st troops to arrive here. The same goes for china, too, although I wouldn’t have been interested in that anyway.

Well well – sweetheart – it’s time I should be on my way, so I’ll close now. Remember that I love you and only you, darling – and that goes for always.

Love to the folks –


All my love
Greg

The following photos were taken outside
Sherborne Castle, UK:


CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

Greg on the back lawn


Greg on the left railing by front entrance


Greg in casual dress


Greg in Dress Uniform


Part of the 438th AAA AW BN Medical Detachment


Greg looking out his bedroom window

No comments:

Post a Comment